Sinus infection photos

Pics
Ofcourse- if there are labs to support another drug class then by all means that should be the way to go. However, infections in avails can be complex and sometimes folks need a broad emergency approach.

Ofcourse- if there are labs to support another drug class then by all means that should be the way to go. However, infections in avails can be complex and sometimes folks need a broad emergency approach.

Wouldn't a broad approach include a medication that would treat pseudomonas?

-Kathy

While helpful, this is an older "table" and many pathogens are growing resistant to these older drugs. This is the case within many species, including humans. Pharma companies are not investing in new antibiotic development, too little profit. Two wonderful books to consider having in your first aid "arsenals" are: Merck Veterinary Manual and Plumbs Veterinary Drug Guide. With reasonably good pathology on an infection, these books can help a person understand, treat, and in many cases learn to identify diseases before they advance. Best of luck - over and out on this thread.

I have started treatment with the Enrofloxyn but getting the extra infection out is not working so well. I don't have a capable holder and though I do wrap them in beach towels and try to work on them, I am all thumbs with these little bird heads. I got some out and it looks a little better. I never did get photos though because of my stress, the peas stress and inability to get a clear photo quickly.
I will try again but for now I am trying to feed, water and keep them under less stress. I moved the other peas to another pen since I feel this one was already contaminated and will need cleaning after these are well out out of there.
It's been my experience that once pus hardens that no amount of antibiotics will treat the hardened pus, so always best to get the pus out before the course of antibiotic ends.

-Kathy

I was trying to keep up with keeping the infection out but the hen has just gotten worse and worse. I must say though that the peacock is looking much better today. The hen obviously feels worse and was easy to catch and work on yesterday and today. I think hers just built up a huge resistance to everything I was giving her and she may not recover. But we keep trying.

I was trying to keep up with keeping the infection out but the hen has just gotten worse and worse. I must say though that the peacock is looking much better today. The hen obviously feels worse and was easy to catch and work on yesterday and today. I think hers just built up a huge resistance to everything I was giving her and she may not recover. But we keep trying.

So sorry... Probably time to find a vet that will look at her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048640/avian-vet-search-links

Is she drinking and eating? Losing weight? If not eating and drinking, and/or losing weight, you know what I'm gonna say you need to do, right? :D let me know if you want to lean how to tube.

-Kathy

More lab reports: -Kathy
Well that's a scary list for sure! Neither one of those cases had the pseudomonas as anything more than "intermediate" to enrofloxacin, and resistant to nearly anything we commonly use. Oddly, the second case was susceptible to Neomycin -- I don't think we've ever discussed that medicine here -- and it jumped out at me because I happened to notice a bottle of Neomycin on the shelf as I was cruising the vet supply store today picking up stuff for my neighbor's peahen. Also odd that it was susceptible to dimethox, but not susceptible to the trimethoprim/sulphamethoxazole, since the TMPS is sort of a souped-up version -- I guess it goes to show how narrow the effectiveness can be sometimes. I don't know if Neomycin is something we might think about for these stubborn cases, but heavens, those cases would have been a complete nightmare without lab studies. Hugs, @WestKnollAmy , sounds like you are just having an awful time of it trying to pull these little guys through :hugs Here's hoping the Baytril gets there quickly, and that it works! You really might try another round of Tylan while you are waiting, if it holds the line at all, it might buy you some time.
RE: Neomycin I don't know much about this drug, but I think it's used mainly for gut infections. http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf One can get neomycin OTC as an oral suspension for swine. -Kathy Edited to add: Also available OTC as a water soluble powder for all livestock, including poultry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom