Sinus infection photos

I figured it had to be something like that but I was using all I had on hand to start with. Now, however, the poor dears are so swollen and I am so upset I could find nothing before now to work. I did try the vet but he made me so mad. And the farm vet seems scared of the peafowl! A goat and sheep he is fine with but peafowl scare him. SMH.
Anyhow, the product should be here in a few days and we will start on that. My poor babies. Okay, not babies but yearlings and still I consider them my babies!
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am a horrible nurse.

Garden Peas, if that swollen sinus is soft the infection can be pushed out the eye socket, The dried snot needs to be removed, the infection squeezed out and the eye rinsed with Vetrycin Eye Wash followed by a shot of antibiotics. Any infection in the roof of the mouth should also be cleaned out with a Q-Tip. An application of Vet RX to the nasal wouldn't hurt either. Suggest to the owner a deep dish for the peas to drink from, peas like to dip deeply, even up to the nasal when they drink and it helps clean the nasal out as well.

@ Garden Peas def. start of serious sinus issues, won't be long the eye will look horrible if something's not done, this IS where the eye issues start but most people don't pick up on that small swollen sinus first.
If observant enough folks can catch " sinusitis" starting there early on by that swelling in that area.
Had a friend who use a vet for this very thing ...they " lightly" lanced it ( used some kind of injection for pain first but not sure what ) and flushed it out very well with sterile saline then packed it with silver Silver sulfadiazine 1%. If you try this please make sure everything you use is clean and sterile !!

They then started the bird on a round of sulfa trimeth ( generic Bactrim ) ...can be got at Jeffers and other places.
I think it was about 1/4 pill 2x a day for about 10 days...cleared it right up.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/sulfa-forte-capsules-60ct

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my first ever sinus infection. Chick weight - 800 grams. Gave 0.16ml of 10% Baytril IM.

Here it is at 9 am:

Four hours later:

Here he is 8 hours later. Note that I have not wiped his face.

28 hours later - still some swelling that is hard to see in pictures and some clear drainage from nostril. Up five grams, which is not enough, but it's better than a loss.

Chick was 100% after just two shots, but gave two more per the recommendation of a vet.

-Kathy

Neighbor's hen is making great progress!

He's been giving her baytril IM 2x day at the 10 mg/kg rate. The gagging has stopped and she is looking much better.

The lump has gone down a little. It is softer than it was, and a bit smaller.

I just took over some Vetericin eye wash as well as a Neilmed sinus rinse bottle, some rinse packets and a 20 ml syringe with a regular dosing tip (no needle!). We mixed up some sinus rinse with warm (not hot!) water and washed the dried discharge off the hen's beak. I used the syringe to gently flow a little warm sinus rinse into the nostrils and to irrigate the roof of the hen's mouth in the slit area. We were careful to keep her from drowning!
gig.gif
A fairly big plug/chunk of black gunk came out of the left sinus, yaay! I couldn't get the swelling part to squeeze out -- didn't want to rupture anything by squeezing too hard. It's soft enough that I think we are making progress on it and it won't need to be cut out.

Then I took the Vetericin eye wash and rinsed the eye. I waited for the hen to blink it all around, and repeated a few times. Tried to push on the swelling again, no luck with that.

Finished up with a little more rinsing with the warm nasal rinse solution.

Hen left, mildly insulted, but obviously feeling MUCH better than a couple days ago
celebrate.gif

Neighbor is really happy -- he thought she was dying before we started treatment.

Thanks for the good advice everybody!

Last edited:
Please note that surgery is not always needed. Some people have been able to remove the hardened pus by milking it out of the sinus cavity, so that is definitely something I would suggest trying before doing the surgery.

0.jpg

-Kathy

Last edited:
Neighbor's hen is making great progress!

He's been giving her baytril IM 2x day at the 10 mg/kg rate. The gagging has stopped and she is looking much better.

The lump has gone down a little. It is softer than it was, and a bit smaller.

I just took over some Vetericin eye wash as well as a Neilmed sinus rinse bottle, some rinse packets and a 20 ml syringe with a regular dosing tip (no needle!). We mixed up some sinus rinse with warm (not hot!) water and washed the dried discharge off the hen's beak. I used the syringe to gently flow a little warm sinus rinse into the nostrils and to irrigate the roof of the hen's mouth in the slit area. We were careful to keep her from drowning!
gig.gif
A fairly big plug/chunk of black gunk came out of the left sinus, yaay! I couldn't get the swelling part to squeeze out -- didn't want to rupture anything by squeezing too hard. It's soft enough that I think we are making progress on it and it won't need to be cut out.

Then I took the Vetericin eye wash and rinsed the eye. I waited for the hen to blink it all around, and repeated a few times. Tried to push on the swelling again, no luck with that.

Finished up with a little more rinsing with the warm nasal rinse solution.

Hen left, mildly insulted, but obviously feeling MUCH better than a couple days ago
celebrate.gif

Neighbor is really happy -- he thought she was dying before we started treatment.

Thanks for the good advice everybody!
You could try poking it with a large needle, like 18 gauge or bigger and see if you can squeeze some out that way.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom