Sinus infection photos

You could try poking it with a large needle, like 18 gauge or bigger and see if you can squeeze some out that way.

-Kathy
Since it's going down and getting softer, I'm thinking we can keep rinsing the sinus and the eye for a few days and see if that helps flush the pus out. I left all the rinsing stuff with the neighbor -- he's pretty good at handling her, and we have made so much progress already that I'm pretty optimistic it will resolve with continued care. Getting that dried plug of mucus out of the nostril and more liquids gently into the sinuses seemed to be very helpful.

I used the warm sinus rinse rather than water to clean so that it would have the right pH and salinity (well, more or less right, since it's people sinus rinse), and the Vetericin eye wash in the eye itself -- getting clean, rinsing fluids in the sinuses from both directions should help soften what's left inside, I hope
fl.gif

Trying to leave poking holes till we've had a good go at it with the liquids, but yes, if it doesn't clear, we'll have to try something to get it out.

I forgot to mention that when trying to milk out the infection, (when it is soft), put your index finger inside the mouth behind the swelling and then use the thumb on the outside to push the infection out.

I read just this morning about how the finings in poultry crumbles and scratch grains, feather dander, and ambient dust will coat the sinus cavities and later in life cause 'Poultry Smut'. When stress is added to the bird secondary infections will manifiest itself in the sinus cavities.

I forgot to mention that when trying to milk out the infection, (when it is soft), put your index finger inside the mouth behind the swelling and then use the thumb on the outside to push the infection out.

I read just this morning about how the finings in poultry crumbles and scratch grains, feather dander, and ambient dust will coat the sinus cavities and later in life cause 'Poultry Smut'. When stress is added to the bird secondary infections will manifiest itself in the sinus cavities.

Mine look pitiful and I am hoping the other meds will help since nothing else has touched it and it only has gotten worse. These are soft swellings but nothing comes out. These birds have not ever been on the ground so I wondered how they got it. Could very well be from the starter mash I used and they still get a more powdery food now as yearlings.
I will try to get photos but they get very upset with me now getting near them since I haev been treating. Only 2 of the 5 in that cage have it. Not related to each other but funny, both are silver pieds!

I found a rooster with a nasty infected eye, but no other signs of respiratory infection, so I removed the pus as best as I could and set him free. Several days later the pus was back, so I did it again, but this time I was more aggressive and manged to get this out of his choanal slit:

Cause of sinus infection was the foxtail. To get it out I had to apply pressure to the area between his nostril and his eye.

This is a choanal slit - Photo by BYC's Nambroth

Poor dear. I have 2 silver pieds yearlings I have been treating with everything I have on hand. I called my local vet but he wants me to BRING them to him to see. Uhm... no. I asked for Baytril but he won't do it. Annoying when local vets won;t help. My farm vets are not sure what to do with peafowl and say they don't do exotics so they won't give me anything for them either.

Sadly, the problem with the vet not giving you Baytril isn't his fault. I ran into this with one of the local vets here, who flatly refused to prescribe it for a bird that was sitting in front of her. (She was as frustrated as I was, and was quite glad to hear that the bird had its own private stash of it
wink.png
)

The problem is the FDA has prohibited the use of Baytril in poultry -- ALL poultry -- even for illness. Can't be prescribed for poultry in the US without jeopardizing the vet's license. And the FDA classifies peafowl as "poultry" -- no kidding, I actually looked it up.

I do also get the "I have to see the bird before I can treat it" bit -- I am always astounded (and confounded) by the stories I hear about clients, and I can't fault any doctor or vet from declining to medicate any person or animal that the doc or vet hasn't laid eyes on.

With that said, I don't hesitate to personally give my birds whatever meds it seems as though they need. I'm not planning to eat any of my peas or their eggs, and I don't keep them with chickens to pass resistant germys along into the food chain. If Baytril can be given to a dog or a cat or a raptor or a parakeet, then I don't have any qualms about giving it to my sick pet peafowl. But I won't try to convince a vet to do something that could get him or her in trouble with the licensing authorities. We just have to figure out how to get it ourselves... That's where those links of Kathy's and internet searches come in handy.

It all goes back to a history of misuse of antibiotics by the agribusiness industry -- in my view, it's taken the FDA (and the rest of the agencies) waaaay too long to take any kind of effective steps to protect the public. I'm not terrifically pleased that my birds have to pay the price, but I sure am glad that things are finally happening to get fattening-up-the-hog/broiler/calf antibiotics out of the food chain!!!
rant.gif
Too bad the regulations ended up being a blunt instrument instead of aimed precisely at the problem, though...
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Can you isolate the sick birds from the others? The infection can be contagious. If you can start with the rinsing while you are waiting for the meds to get here, that may help. And if you can get the Bactrim that someone else mentioned, that could certainly be an option. Did you try any dimethox?

In some countries I think Baytril is still being used in poultry, and it's still used in beef and swine here in the US.

-Kathy

In some countries I think Baytril is still being used in poultry, and it's still used in beef and swine here in the US.

-Kathy

In the US, I think it is FINALLY supposed to no longer be used in feed -- FEED!!!!
somad.gif
-- but can still be used for sick livestock as well as dogs, cats and any bird that is NOT POULTRY. In the mid-East, they can buy it OTC in the pharmacy to use on whatever they like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom