Sinus infection photos

Its that time of year again, Theres a lot of it here in Texas right now, it usually passes but, its always better to be safe than sorry.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

It sure could be contagious.

-Kathy

Hello Kathy, thanks for reply. My neighbor says it may be gap worms. Her eye is half closed and swollen around it. She opens and closes her mouth funny but isn't gasping for air. Neighbor also suggested eye worm. Your thoughts? I'll call the Vet in the morning for medication to pick up. I have a large dog wire crate I can put her in keeping her on the closed in back porch so I can care for her and to isolate her from the other peafowl. Goodness, in 10 years I've had so few problems....this is stressful.

It sure could be contagious.

-Kathy

Hello Kathy, thanks for reply.  My neighbor says it may be gap worms.  Her eye is half closed and swollen around it.  She opens and closes her mouth funny but isn't gasping for air.  Neighbor also suggested eye worm.  Your thoughts?  I'll call the Vet in the morning for medication to pick up.  I have a large dog wire crate I can put her in keeping her on the closed in back porch so I can care for her and to isolate her from the other peafowl.  Goodness, in 10 years I've had so few problems....this is stressful. 

It's probably a bacterial infection, though it could be a virus. No harm in treating for gapes, and might as well treat for capillary worms while you're at it. Is she were mine I would would give Safeguard liquid or paste at 0.23 ml per pound five days in a row. That dose will treat all but tapeworms and flukes. Google "eye worm chicken" and let us know what you find. Can you post a picture of her eye? How about a video?

For a bacterial infection I would give a shot of 10% Baytril (100 mg/ml) at 0.09 ml per pound, which is 9 mg per pound. Does that help?

-Kathy

Last edited:
It's probably a bacterial infection, though it could be a virus. No harm in treating for gapes, and might as well treat for capillary worms while you're at it. Is she were mine I would would give Safeguard liquid or paste at 0.23 ml per pound five days in a row. That dose will treat all but tapeworms and flukes. Google "eye worm chicken" and let us know what you find. Can you post a picture of her eye? How about a video?

For a bacterial infection I would give a shot of 10% Baytril (100 mg/ml) at 0.09 ml per pound, which is 9 mg per pound. Does that help?

-Kathy

-Kathy

Prefer Safeguard paste I can put more easily in food but how do I measure it. With liquid I can use a syringe. No way to weigh her. Peahens are about 6 to 9 lbs. I'd say she's on the large side.

Googled eye worms and sinus infections. This looks like a sinus infection. Not sure if I can figure out how to put pictures on the computer anymore. Technology changes faster then I can figure it out.

Have had practically no problems with my peafowl in 10 years so have never had to give them a shot. Have never given a shot in my life. Is there another way to administer?

Would 3 ml be the right dose of Baytril?

Thanks for your help Kathy.

Tylan helped mine not at all. Order the generic Baytril, it could save a life. I added mine to the drinking water of those affected and it worked great but on one I had to do the surgery, which helped but I wish I had treated with Baytril (Enroflox) much sooner before she became so bad. I tried all other methods before the Baytril.

Putting it in water sounds doable. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get some more Baytril or generic from the Vet today. Calling office as soon as it opens. If not hopefully prescription and can get it at a pharmacy so I can get it in her immediately. How much Baytril or Enroflox in how much water? Can I put some down her throat to get a good dose in her right away?

Appreciate the help you are all giving me. Reading it all and will do what I feel I'm capable of. I'm assuming I won't have problems finding the medications.

Quote: WestKnollAmy got lucky, because many birds won't drink Baytril water. Better to give it orally. Another thing to thing about is the hardness of your water because Baytril can bind with the calcium in hard water, which will make it less effective. Baytril is also very sensitive to degradation by sunlight, so that's also something to consider.

-Kathy

I did add the Avian Super pack vitamins along with Baytril. They are used to that in their water and it must have hid the taste of the Baytril. Though, too, our well water is soft and they drink it great. I made sure to give them fresh twice a day and usually only as much as what they would drink each day, though there was always some left over. It was just less stressful for me and the birds to add to drinking water and I was lucky they took to it well and it worked on the others except the one I let go on too long. But she has fully recovered and I am thankful to this thread because of it. Kathy is a life saver! Literally!
love.gif

I did add the Avian Super pack vitamins along with Baytril. They are used to that in their water and it must have hid the taste of the Baytril. Though, too, our well water is soft and they drink it great. I made sure to give them fresh twice a day and usually only as much as what they would drink each day, though there was always some left over. It was just less stressful for me and the birds to add to drinking water and I was lucky they took to it well and it worked on the others except the one I let go on too long. But she has fully recovered and I am thankful to this thread because of it. Kathy is a life saver! Literally!
love.gif
Good job WestKnoll Amy
I read through this thread for a Canker problem in a bantam of mine. Similar hard canker plugging his sinus about the size of an acorn. All meds attempted and after reading this I am confident cutting it out is all that is left. Thanks for allowing us to live this experience along with you and learn.

Back
Top Bottom