sinus infections and getting certified

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cassies1972, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Cassies1972

Cassies1972 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Bristow, Ok
    Does anyone know if some of my chickens had a sinus infection will that keep me from getting them certified after it's cleared up?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you mean for NPIP?
    If you are just testing for PT it shouldn't be an issue. Regardless of their illness, if they don't have antibodies to pullorum or typhoid, then they're PT clean no matter how sick they are. That's just my take on it.
    If you are going for AI and that's what they had then it is a problem.
    Do you know what the respiratory problem is?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Cassies1972

May 17, 2014
    Bristow, Ok
    No, I don't know what respiratory issue it was. Some had runny stuffed up noses. I gave them Tylan50. I had 1 get a swollen cheek with runny nose and eyes. I have her Tylan200 for about a week with no change. Very sad! She was such a sweet girl. I've never culled, today was my first time. It's sad, but i read that once they have it, they always have it even without symptoms.

It's been a bad day.

I just can't get rid of all my chickens. I (we) have a lot invested in them. They are really good chickens! We love our chickens. It's something how you can get attached to these funny birds.

I want to get them certified. (Npip)

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Chickens can get respiratory infections that will go away with antibiotics. I know two people that were about to cull theirs, but decided to have them tested, neither one had a disease that required culling. Next time, have the sick bird looked at by a vet to confirm what it has.

-Kathy

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2

Of all the respiratory problems that chickens can get, a very small percentage can be cured by antibiotics.
    Rather than prophylactically stabbing in the dark, one must know what they're dealing with and react accordingly.

Respiratory issues, other than bacterial (some of which can't be cured with antibiotics) the issue can be viral, fungal, protozoal, environmental or nutritional.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Sounds like your birds have CRD.
    If that is the case then you shouldn't have a problem getting your NPIP.

If your birds have CDR then they are now carriers and they can affect new birds even though they show now signs.

If the signs show back up you can hit them with LS 50 and Amoxicillin.

8. Cassies1972

May 17, 2014
    Bristow, Ok
    Thank you for you input.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by