sinus infections and getting certified

Do you mean for NPIP?
If you are just testing for PT it shouldn't be an issue. Regardless of their illness, if they don't have antibodies to pullorum or typhoid, then they're PT clean no matter how sick they are. That's just my take on it.
If you are going for AI and that's what they had then it is a problem.
Do you know what the respiratory problem is?

Last edited:
No, I don't know what respiratory issue it was. Some had runny stuffed up noses. I gave them Tylan50. I had 1 get a swollen cheek with runny nose and eyes. I have her Tylan200 for about a week with no change. Very sad! She was such a sweet girl. I've never culled, today was my first time. It's sad, but i read that once they have it, they always have it even without symptoms.

It's been a bad day.

I just can't get rid of all my chickens. I (we) have a lot invested in them. They are really good chickens! We love our chickens. It's something how you can get attached to these funny birds.

I want to get them certified. (Npip)

No, I don't know what respiratory issue it was. Some had runny stuffed up noses. I gave them Tylan50. I had 1 get a swollen cheek with runny nose and eyes. I have her Tylan200 for about a week with no change. Very sad! She was such a sweet girl. I've never culled, today was my first time. It's sad, but i read that once they have it, they always have it even without symptoms.

It's been a bad day.

I just can't get rid of all my chickens. I (we) have a lot invested in them. They are really good chickens! We love our chickens. It's something how you can get attached to these funny birds.

Chickens can get respiratory infections that will go away with antibiotics. I know two people that were about to cull theirs, but decided to have them tested, neither one had a disease that required culling. Next time, have the sick bird looked at by a vet to confirm what it has.

-Kathy

Chickens can get respiratory infections that will go away with antibiotics. I know two people that were about to cull theirs, but decided to have them tested, neither one had a disease that required culling. Next time, have the sick bird looked at by a vet to confirm what it has.

-Kathy

X2

Of all the respiratory problems that chickens can get, a very small percentage can be cured by antibiotics.
Rather than prophylactically stabbing in the dark, one must know what they're dealing with and react accordingly.

Respiratory issues, other than bacterial (some of which can't be cured with antibiotics) the issue can be viral, fungal, protozoal, environmental or nutritional.

Quote: One of the people I mentioned had been told here on BYC to treat with Tylan, but when he had his bird tested, the bacteria they found was resistant to Tylan (can't remember what it was), and in the end he switched to Baytril. On top of the respiratory infection, they also had worms and coccidiosis. It's taken him some time, but with the help of his vet he's got all of them healthy again. No culling required!

-Kathy

It's been a bad day.

Sounds like your birds have CRD.
If that is the case then you shouldn't have a problem getting your NPIP.

If your birds have CDR then they are now carriers and they can affect new birds even though they show now signs.

If the signs show back up you can hit them with LS 50 and Amoxicillin.

Quote: They will be carriers for life *if* they have CRD, but if they have something else, they might not be. Best to have them checked by a vet. No point in buying all the different antibiotics the bacteria might be resistant to, right? This PDF has the results of the bird I mentioned earlier and shows what antibiotics would work and which ones won't for that bird.

Not all URI's are mycoplasma, coryza, etc.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom