Sissy Roo?

ekemily

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Fairhope, AL
Ok, so you guys identified my CM roo out of my flock. So, I've been watching him closely since. I have around 30 chickens. He is the only roo (that i can tell). He seems to be about 1/2 way down the pecking order. Some of my buff rocks boss him around. He runs from them. When I put out the feed, he waits until others have eaten. He won't come near me. I have only seen him display his "rooster stance" about two or three times. He is quite the gentleman. Is this normal? I have never had a rooster before. I thought they were supposed to come after you and be bullys to all of the others. He is approximately 17 weeks old and he is HUGE compared to all of the others. Since he is kind of a wimp, do you think he may not be fertile? Is infertility common among roosters? Thanks!

50621_img_0903.jpg

Your cockerel is young and he is displaying the proper respect to the "boss" roo - who should be you and the head hens/pullets. (male or female - you should be the head roo) He should avoid you and any type of action that draws your attention - if you had a head flock roo and the young cockerel drew his attention, the cockerel might get a peck on the head/back depend upon what behavior drew the roo's attention.

No, not a sissy. He's just young.

Sometimes a rooster won't be fully mature until his second year. And it's appropriate for him to let the hens eat first; that's his job: to show them where the tasty food is by calling them to it.

I'm so glad to see this thread! I bought a BR roo that looks almost like the one pictured here. I gave him the name of Ben (for Gentle Ben), I call him Benny. I was told he was a yearling. After confining him for a time, I've finally released him with my 10 BR hens. This is the most timid roo I have ever seen. He doesn't crow much, maybe, 3 times I've heard him and it was not from an outstretched neck....he just made this really soft, gentle crow (if you can call it that) and I haven't heard it since. He has made just a couple advances on the girls but not with much pazazz and they put him off and he literally will stay on the other end of the pen, away from everyone. I can go in and corner him in the pen and reach over and pick him up....he is really nice and gentle. I bought him so I could get fertilized eggs to hatch. At this rate....I dunno....I called the lady where I bought him and asked if there were "Gay" roos, she just laughed & I have no problem with Gay anything....just I want baby chicks. I told her how he doesn't even crow????!!! So, what's with this Roo???? He's wonderfully sweet but......HELP? I have the same problem!
idunno.gif

Ekemily....You call your roo a "CM roo". What is CM? Mine looks much like yours, he is barred yet lighter in coloring than my barred-rock girls who are more black than he. His "black" is more muted.
Next to them he looks silvery but barred??

My goodness, you have a Gentleman Roo! He's doing what he's supposed to do: let the ladies eat first.

And he's still young; if I understand the situation, there are older, higher status hens in your flock. He will eventually assume his Head of Flock status, but he may never mount ALL the hens. He'll find his favorites, and his choices will change over time.

Especially since you say you have 30 hens to one - for sure - rooster. That ratio is off by two roosters; you should have one for every 10 or so hens. That's if you want as many fertilized eggs as possible. However, with that many hens, he probably won't be causing much damage to any one or two hens!

Fun feet: CM is for cuckoo marans. Sorry, I just got lazy with my typing
tongue.png
I was told that Cuckoos have white/grey legs and barred rocks have yellow. And, of course, Barred rocks are Barred and CMs pattern is more "cuckoo" with mottling and no definite barring pattern. Hope this helps!

Eyes: I'm still working on downsizing. I am planning on ending up with a flock of about 15 or so. Thanks for your help. I'm so glad that I have a true gentleman roo and not some bad boy.

Back
Top Bottom