Sister freaking out about eating fertilized eggs!!

Does it matter??

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 21 100.0%

• Total voters
She wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the two but to each his own they all taste great non the less.

Seems like I remember, a few years ago, and thread here were folks were hatching store bought eggs (just to see what they got).

That should take your sister off eggs forever........
Oh, folks are still hatching store eggs. I hatched some Trader Joe's fertile (eating) eggs two years ago and I know there are stil BYCers "joining" the "Trader Joe's and other grocery eggs" thread all the time.

Frankly, I'd rather incubate 'em and hatch chicks than eat factory egg farm eggs from the store.

Fertile eggs are not chicken embryos until they are incubated and development begins. There is NO difference in taste or nutritional value between fertile or non-fertilized eggs, all things being the same. (Home raised eggs are much better than store eggs, so you cannot compare the flavor between home and store eggs.... home eggs win hands down.) .

Oh, folks are still hatching store eggs.  I hatched some Trader Joe's fertile (eating) eggs two years ago and I know there are stil BYCers "joining" the "Trader Joe's and other grocery eggs" thread all the time.

Frankly, I'd rather incubate 'em and hatch chicks than eat factory egg farm eggs from the store.

Fertile eggs are not chicken embryos until they are incubated and development begins.  There is NO difference in taste or nutritional value between fertile or non-fertilized eggs, all things being the same.  (Home raised eggs are much better than store eggs, so you cannot compare the flavor between home and store eggs....  home eggs win hands down.)  .
My husband prefers store eggs... He's a weirdo... Everyone else agrees that he's a strange one

My husband prefers store eggs... He's a weirdo... Everyone else agrees that he's a strange one

People have been sold poor quality food for so long that they don't know what it really should taste like. Then when they do eat ''real food'' grown and raised correctly it tastes differently than they expect it to or are used to. That goes for more than chicken and eggs!! Just look at the difference of store tomatos and your fresh juicy garden tomato that you planted yourself. Wow!!
droolin.gif
Now I want a blt!! I grill chicken and add it to my blt on occasion! In a pinch I use cucumbers out of the garden instead of lettace wow thats really good too!! Yummmm!! Let it be summer!!

Wait a second, you can incubate an egg that has been in the fridge?

Uh, yup. Most refrigeration is 41 degrees, or thereabouts. Not a killer cold, or even close to freezing.
Remember: Viability decreases with time as well as refrigeration. So a week old egg is less viable and less likely to hatch than a day old egg. An egg cooled ten minutes won't be damaged, but refrigerating it a week will be reduce its fertility due to the length of time.

So if you go buy fertile eggs at a grocery store, you would get eggs which have been refrigerated and time has passed. Therefore, you'd want the freshest eggs so you have a better chance of getting some which will hatch.

Generally, we do this to see if we can - and many have been successful. I was.

Uh, yup. Most refrigeration is 41 degrees, or thereabouts. Not a killer cold, or even close to freezing.
Remember: Viability decreases with time as well as refrigeration. So a week old egg is less viable and less likely to hatch than a day old egg. An egg cooled ten minutes won't be damaged, but refrigerating it a week will be reduce its fertility due to the length of time.

So if you go buy fertile eggs at a grocery store, you would get eggs which have been refrigerated and time has passed. Therefore, you'd want the freshest eggs so you have a better chance of getting some which will hatch.

Generally, we do this to see if we can - and many have been successful. I was.
I am very green at the chicken thing. I did not know this. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom