Sitting duck

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
Ducks were quacking up a storm this morning in their hut, so I finally let them out. Open the door and Ally and Cadbury made a run for it. Blue was just happily sitting on her nest. Stood up, sat back down and all 3 eggs went out from under her. I ran in and grabbed my camera and took some pics.

morning
IMG_3780.jpg

Oh, yeah, those 3 eggs, let me just tuck those back under me
IMG_3781.jpg

That's better, now go away
IMG_3783.jpg

Sitting duck
IMG_3784.jpg

Jet keeps going over and trying to stick her head in the house to see what's going on. I should just let her and let Blue bite her and chase her away - maybe she'll learn that Blue doesn't want any doggy interruptions

She is sooo beautiful. Im hoping to get up to see Curtiositycat so I can get a few of her runners soon, I think shes forgotten about me. She has a pretty silver looking duck I would like to get and then also another pale coloured and a F&W

She ran out for something to eat/drink around 1:45 today. She left the other 2 standing guard over the duck house. So I bribed them away with tomatoes and while the 3 of them were snacking, dh snuck the eggs out. I kept her entertained for a while and when she went back up, we didn't hear her make a fuss about them not being in the bin.

Quote:
Why'd you take the eggs? Do you not want her broody? I would LOVE for one of my duck hens to go broody; would be much less stressful than having to hatch the eggs in the incubator!

ETA: Or do you have all hens? That thought just hit me since you have 3 ducks and there were 3 eggs
smile.png

Last edited:
quiltnchik - yes, all girls.

*DuckLuvR* :

May I ask how you made the door to your duck house. I bought the same one from Lowes after I saw your post about it.

hmm.png

We bought some cedar pieces from lowe's - some tongue and groove and some trim pieces.
We did the frame to the size that it would fit in the 'door' in the house, but not super tight so that when it gets wet, it can still open (I do have to tug now and then though). Then we attached the tongue and groove boards together, then attached them to the frame (frame is wider than the boards, but only a tiny bit).
I'll try to take pics of the door tomorrow as this is all I seem to have showing the door.
IMG_3641.jpg

Quote:
We bought some cedar pieces from lowe's - some tongue and groove and some trim pieces.
We did the frame to the size that it would fit in the 'door' in the house, but not super tight so that when it gets wet, it can still open (I do have to tug now and then though). Then we attached the tongue and groove boards together, then attached them to the frame (frame is wider than the boards, but only a tiny bit).
I'll try to take pics of the door tomorrow as this is all I seem to have showing the door.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/trudy_w/Alabama/Ducks/IMG_3641.jpg

Pictures would be great when you get a chance. I've been trying to figure out how to make the door for it, and pictures always help.

i feel really dumb for asking this but i dont know much about ducks,what kind is that?shes beautiful

Quote:
She's a silver runner

*DuckLuvR* :

Pictures would be great when you get a chance. I've been trying to figure out how to make the door for it, and pictures always help.

Forgot about the pics. Just took them this morning

Outside of door and the pieces we attached to the house itself so it was flush and we had a way to lock it and mount it
IMG_3788.jpg

Close up of the top so you can see the tongue and groove boards that are the back (the painted bit) and the frame of the door (just some cedar trim boards)
IMG_3785.jpg

The back - the tongue and groove is smaller than the frame - and also a bit smaller than the opening so that if it gets wet, it will still open
IMG_3787.jpg

Oh wow...what a beautiful duck. Is she solid white with a black bill? I've never seen those colors before together!

Back
Top Bottom