sitting rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madgabmomma, Aug 10, 2011.

1. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    I have a trio of dutch bantam x's, a hen, and rooster pair and then their baby which is a hen and she's about 3.5months old. The momma hen (Roxy) lays almost every day for me and I noticed when she is laying the rooster and baby hen each get in their own nesting boxes and sit while she sits. Is this normal? They don't do it any other time just when the laying hen is laying. There are other chickens in the coop, they actually sort off into thier own breeds. There are 2 cochins that stick together and 3 silkies that stick together. So basically there are 3 flocks living together. When they free range they each go in their separate groups by breed. Just wondering if I'm the only one with wierd, yet pretty smart chickens.

2. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    i dont think but my rhode island red hen will jump in the nesting box with the other till she lays but the rooster is copping wht the other chickens are doing, do u have another rooster around.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Woah that's weird that they also nest while the hen is nesting. Wow! But yes, the different breeds do often go off on their own for me too, even though they were all raised together.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by