Six-week-old chicks, male or female?

darlingdarla

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Laurel, Maryland
One week ago i posted the same thread, but they were to young, they turned six weeks old yesterday. I know the one probably isn't old enough, but the rest are fully feathered or very close to fully feathered.

Buff crested polish

Blue copper marans

Black Sumatra

Speckled Sussex

Black copper marans

Buff Brahma bantam

Not an expert so these are just guesses but the only one that looks rooish to me is the polish. Looks like the head fluff may be more streamer like than my pullets was at that age.

Funny how the polish is the off one i had the same issue last year with my first polish.
I am quite confident they are all pullets, although the polish looks a bit odd to me. Are you sure she is a pure polish? Those legs look a bit olive green and the crest is not very full for a female.
Sunny is an odd one, her legs are VERY green when the color developed at about one week i was very disappointed. I certainly purchased a pure polish, but a lot of things are disappointing about this bird, she's also missing a toe on her right foot.
Of course, she's one of the two i dont think are quite old to be labeled as male or female because her crest feathers aren't entirely grown in yet, there's still a lot of pin feathers, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Either way, if she turns into the only cock, i think i could live with that.
Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom