Six young hens camping out

Erba

Crowing
5 Years
May 4, 2018
Bollschweil, Germany
So for about a month now 6 of my younger hens have taken to camping out at night. I have searched far and wide, and can't find where they go. They seem to be so well hidden, that not even predators can find them. I have to admit my property is pretty over grown, and I can't look under every bush. They are not much bothered that they can't get to the food in the pen, by doing this. I started feeding them after a week of this nonsense, because I was worried they weren't getting enough. This is not good, what do you suggest I do?

My first question is about the fact that you said you started feeding them. Does that mean you weren't feeding them any actual chicken feed before?
Bit of a touchy subject with me because I read a blog post that said chickens only needed a little bit of feed in the summertime and the rest of the time they could forge for themselves. Possible in certain climates (like Hawaii) but pretty much untrue for most of the world. It was a rude awakening, for sure, since a big reason of how I convinced my husband to get a bunch was because they wouldn't be super expensive.
And I take it they free range during the day? They don't have a run you could confine them in until they relearn to go to the Coop at night?

Unfortunately I only have the one run attached to the coop. We are in the northern hemisphere, they started this when it was below zero Celsius, so they are probably huddled up somewhere. The only thing to eat here is grass. I was thinking about making a temporary net run, just to contain them.

Unfortunately I only have the one run attached to the coop. We are in the northern hemisphere, they started this when it was below zero Celsius, so they are probably huddled up somewhere. The only thing to eat here is grass. I was thinking about making a temporary net run, just to contain them.
Just grass?! Interesting

I would not let them out of their run for at least a week for them to relearn that the coop is where they go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom