size difference in chicks

shemarie

Chirping
14 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Topeka, KS
I got two new chicks from Orschlens (sp?) about a month ago...anyway...I got a barred plymouth rock and a silver laced wyandotte. The barred rock had been there for a week, and the wyandotte had just arrived that day...so I figure they are at least a week apart in age. So here is my question...my wyandotte is half the size of my plymouth rock...and it makes me wonder if they didn't sell me a bantam by mistake..do Wyandottes come in bantam size? Or will that one week make that much difference and she just hasn't caught up? She is just so much smaller, and I am worried that when they go outside, (if it EVER warms up and quits raining) that she will really get picked on...any thoughts?

Wyandottes do come in bantam size, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the difference in age. I just hatched some eggs, and one chick hatched a day later than the others. She's so much smaller!!! And that's just a day.

That's just my opinion, though, but I wouldn't be too worried.

smile.png

Last edited:
I have three chick ages, (5 wk, 4wk, 3wk) and their size differences are really close to doubled per week. This makes the 5 week old chicks about four times the size of the 3 week old chicks. It is unbelievable!

Also, of the four week old chicks, I have two Barred Rocks and two SL Wyandottes, all the same age. The BRs have always been slightly bigger than the SLW's, even when they were all five days old. So I bet you have standard chicks and it is just their ages and breeds that make the size differences so significant.

-MTchick

Back
Top Bottom