size of combs and egglaying

Goldie56

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Newcastle
Is the size of my girls combs indicative of age? My girls are just over 22 weeks old and they all have different body characteristics. All are the same breed but one has nearly no tail and a tiny comb. She also looks less mature. I think that the eggs we have had are from the hen with the biggest and reddest comb. If they were the same age would they not have the same characteristics that indicate age? Thanks.

PS: I just read about chickens that squat. Well, a few days ago the two girls with the bigger combs started squatting when I reach to touch them. The other two won't let me do this and they don't squat. Also I now find that when I sit in the chicken area, the two that squat have started to peck me and my clothes. It hurts when the pinch me with their beaks. I am very surprised that they do this and climb onto my lap. Is this maturity/age related also?

Hm, I don't think size of the comb tells you exactly how old a hen is, but it definitely tells you if they're laying. Bigger, redder combed hens are the ones that are about to lay. And even if the hens are all the same age, they will indeed mature to the egg-laying stage at different times; it's all about individuality. You could have one hen laying at four months and another at twelve months from the same hatch.

As for pecking, I'm guessing that maybe the new hormones are causing them to become more daring and curious?
idunno.gif

And, yep, those beaks sure hurt! I have two hens that gobble up any food I offer them from my hand so enthusiastically that even if I wear gloves I still get pinched! Talk about hungry!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom