Size of mesh to keep bantams in

OwensChickens

Chirping
6 Years
May 31, 2013
Looking for fencing to keep bantams and LF in a run. Predator control will be hot wire fence. Looking at deer fencing, plastic poultry/garden fencing, and chicken wire. What size hole do I need to keep bantams in?

This will be on 600 feet of run/perimeter fence. I would go broke doing it in hardware cloth.

Last edited:
I just use chicken wire to separate my chicks from my grown hens. The plastic netting is too flexible, in my opinion, and the little ones can push through underneath the fencing. The only thing I would be concerned about is aerial predators. My run is covered but then I don't have 600' of perimeter.

We have had hawk and falcon problems. Bottle rockets, sling shots, and 12g are our solutions to those. It would be very difficult to cover the run.

At kencove, they have 2x2 plastic mesh fence for a good price. 330 feet at 4' tall for $100.

Plastic mesh stretches out of shape. I used it last year with U-posts to keep chickens out of my garden, and it bows. To keep raccoon hands out and weasels/mink/rats out, 1/2 inch wire mesh is best. Buying it online in 50 or 100 ft. rolls would be least expensive. Weasels can get through 1 inch chicken wire and raccoons can rip it, so if using it, there must be a 2 ft tall width of 1/2 inch mesh or hardware cloth around the lower part of your run. Chicks cannot walk through it either.

Not worried about critters reaching in. But do have concerns about the plastic fence holding u, especially in snow. We will be using the same posts that are hot wire fence will be using.

Back
Top Bottom