Size of nesting box inside the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Chatter, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Chicken Chatter

Chicken Chatter Hatching

May 22, 2012
    What size should the nesting box be for each hen in the coop? I have RIR chicks. We are in the process of building their coop. Also, how old are they when they start laying? We bought ours a month ago as babies from the farm and garden store? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Marie

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] For nest box size, roughly 12x12x12 will work. As for laying, they will most likely start to lay between 20-25 weeks of age. Two to three weeks prior to laying you will notice their combs and faces getting redder and they may start to squat for you and check out the nest boxes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Stevo

Stevo Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Also you will only need one nestbox for 4 chickens. I have 4 nestboxes and nine chickens use the same two lol.

4. DanEP

DanEP Songster

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    [​IMG] Also make sure that your roost is higher than your nest boxes or they will try to sleep in them, not a good idea cuz sleeping in nest boxes will mean poopy eggs and more work for you cleaning them out. with new girls I don't open the boxes till their 17 weeks. By then their sleeping on the roost and still have plenty of time to check them out before laying. Oh and put fake eggs in the boxes when you open them, I use golf balls.
    Dan

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    My nesting boxes are actually 12" x 14" x 12". buff orps, barred rocks, red stars and rir's use them.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: