1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

size of new coop ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tommysgirl, Jan 27, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Currently we have a 3 by 5 coop in a 9 x 8 run for 6 hens (there were 7 :-( ) and one roo that free range about 4 hours on weekdays and about 8 on weekends. They have two nest boxes but only use one. The smoosh together on two roosts though they have 4 and are really only in there for laying and sleeping. I have two each Red Stars,, Delawares and Australorps and an enormous barnyard mix roo. No one pecks everyone appears happy.

We are adding 7-9 birds mostly big girls this spring/summer so are adding a coop which will be in a 15/15 run. These new hens will also have free range time like our first ones have. I am thinking a 4 by 6 coop will be sufficient in a run this size.

We are in the Northern CA Mountains so we freeze and occasionally snow in the winter but mostly our winters are wet but above freezing. Summers are HOT the run is shaded.

Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That is a bit small unless you make it 3 sided. My concern is their body heat will make it too hot in warm weather, and you live in a warm enough climate for a 3 sided coop, or at least one with mostly hardware cloth or open to the run on the 4th side. If you do make it that small, you will have to ventilate it very well, anyway, for the coldest nights to prevent frostbite. I'll give you a couple of links that you may find helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700308/coop-and-run-size#post_9504811

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops

3. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks so much for your input I found this "If they have access to the outside practically every day of the year, coop space is not all that critical." to sort of describe our current situation.

Oh, forgot to make it clear that during the summer they are out. Does that make a difference in your assessment? I am a teacher so none will be confined to the coop during the summer. They will spend their days in the large run when we aren't home or free ranging when we are.

Also in the summer, it cools off here at night very nicely we may be at 105 during the day but by 6 we are in the 80s and by 10 we are in the 60s. They are never in the coop during the heat of the day

The coop itself is only used for laying and roosting. Other than sleeping, our current group has only been confined to the coop during the first days they were in it so they would know it was home. We let them out into the run around sunrise each morning and they put themselves away at dusk. also the 4X6 would be for the new girls only. No roo, the original 3 x 5 would continue to house the original 6 girls.

How big would you go?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by