Sizzle...hen or roo...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom wewantchicks!, Oct 6, 2011.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    The heading says it all,i thought this was a hen now im not so sure,pardon the nasty coop we havent cleaned it in awhile
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how old? i would deffently say roo

3. EM Squared Farms 2

EM Squared Farms 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    FL
    It doesn't have hackle or saddle feathers though. No Pointed tail feathers either. I say hen. Some hens have large combs and wattles.

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I think that's a roo.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
  6. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:My Blue Andalusian is like that, huge comb and wattles but it's a hen - atleast I think it is.... [​IMG]

7. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    It is 4 or 5 months old I know that probably sound bad Im not sure but we hatched alot of chicks this summer. The reason I thought hen was because we hatched another with the same parents and it was very evident at 6-8 weeks it was a roo.I quess i will have to wait and see if it crows of lays

8. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    mom,wewantchicks! :

It is 4 or 5 months old I know that probably sound bad Im not sure but we hatched alot of chicks this summer. The reason I thought hen was because we hatched another with the same parents and it was very evident at 6-8 weeks it was a roo.I quess i will have to wait and see if it crows of lays

At first glance I thought it might be a boy but I didn't want to say I was 100% sure...then I zoomed in on the pic. You don't have to wait...zoom in the picture on your comp...you can definitely see pointy hackle and saddle feathers. That's a roo.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by