Sizzle questions...

allaboutdemchicks

Chapel Farms
11 Years
Sep 13, 2008
Jemison, AL
Okay, maybe this is a question for Jimnjay.....Auntie Jaynie, is there enough curl in these baby's feathering? Am I getting too much Silkie feathering on that tail? I really am happy with this generation but I do see the change in feathering from the Sizzle hens used with these babies.

15761_img_0815.jpg

Showgirls !!!!!

15761_img_0822.jpg

15761_img_0821.jpg

I think breeding with the Silkie another generation and I will be disappointed. Time for a Male Straight feathered Sizzle for the girls? Maybe a Frizzled cochin? I just am afraid I'll have too many feathering issues with the two Frizzle genes in a pair. But then again, I am wanting the curls of a Frizzle.

Claudia

Isn't she cute!! I'm hoping to hatch more like her....but I'm not as happy with the Necked Necks, I was hoping for more crests that what they have.

Yes, the best thing at this point is to get a nice smooth sizzle, we are using the small "s" to denote the smooth bird from a Sizzle breeding. Preferably one with a really nice crest. I have some here because I used Silkies for each generation after the original cross just for the reason you are mentioning. With any new breed there is lots of work getting them to look just exactly like you would like them to. By the way, BeeBop's curles were pretty loose when he was that age but you saw the photo of him. I will attach a photo of a smooth sizzle that would be the type you would want to mate to your little ones down the road. I might could help you out there if My techinique with AI improves. LOL
Flock009.jpg

This is Smokey, she is either 3rd or 4th generation from the little bird in my avatar and a silkie roo. I am not sure which of the girls were laying when the hammer fell last year but I had two from the 4th gen and 1 from the 3rd generation.

If you are wanting a nice crest do not use a cochin again until you get a better crest on the Sizzle. You will not see improvement on those types of features using a cochin this close to the first cross.
The frizzle can be improved by breeding the frizzle to frizzle but you need to prepare yourself for the Frizzles. Either way you do it there are lots of offspring that are not really one you can use again for breeding but they make nice pets.

That is why I waited so long to even try to breed the Sizzle back to the sizzle, I wanted to dilute the cochin in the mix as much as possible. You would be best off checking with the folks on the Sizzle List, and try to get a mate from a nicely feathered Sizzle of the opposite sex. If

I would agree that using a cochin would not be a good idea--the area sizzles seem to need most work in (from an overall view of all the ones I've seen, not any particular bird or breeder) is improving the crests. This is to be expected when the original out crosses were to cochins. But you don't want to strengthen that lack of crest by breeding back to cochins at this point. Much better to get a smooth sizzle.

Jimnkay, that is a very nice smooth!
love.gif

Claudia, where are you located?

"Claudia, where are you located?" Middle Alabama.

Jaynie! Smokey is sooo handsome! He has a nice crest and color.

Looking at Smokey I understand now that a sizzle is indeed the direction to go, a Frizzled cochin for curls and I'll just be backing up in sooo many other traits. The girls just haven't hatched a sizzle yet...so, yes, Jaynie, I would be very interested in a sizzle cockeral when you have one available.

nzpouter, I love the look of your Sizzles!! I've been admiring them from a distance for months now.

Okay, Smokey is a splendid blue sizzle!!!!!! Oh my. Envy.
bow.gif
love.gif

My splash Sizzle is a Roo and I got no sizzle pullets.
he.gif
Humph.... fuss... It's always something.

Sarah and I are talking about a smooth splash sizzle pullet to come here, which would make me happy. Or I need to find a good enough blue one.

NZ and Jimnjay have such nice Sizzles/sizzles, it's great to have the goal to look at.

I have both the Splash Roo, and a DQ Red and Blue sizzle roo because Laura demands he be kept he looks like blue with fireworks on him. So I'll be starting with two pens, goal pen and pet pen. Because Omg everyone that sees them wants them, especially the odd Red/blue.

I still can't get over what neat little silly pet birds they are, and how rediculous they look free ranging. They're lucky the Delawares protect them.

I soooooo need a smooth hen that looks like Smokey, that is just tooo cool.

Back
Top Bottom