Sizzle with swollen comb

country

Songster
Sep 14, 2008
Lincoln, CA
This is the 2nd time she's had this. About 6 wks ago I noticed her comb was swollen & kind of scabbed. When I touched it, it loosened up & came off. I put her by herself for a day so she wouldn't get picked on, put some antibiotic on the open wound.
Here are some pictures. That's her on the right, before the scab came off.

Here is the piece that came off - top pic shows it upside down & you're seeing the part that was attached to her comb. The 2nd picture is the top of it.

Picture below is her face after it was off. The top part of her comb is at the bottom of the picture & her beak is at the top. In a few days it seemed healed enough to put her back with the others & the last time I checked it, her comb had healed & she looked perfectly normal. She's been doing fine until a few days ago.

She started getting thin & I couldn't see anything wrong, until today. Her comb is all swollen plus there is another swelling on the right side. Below are 2 pictures I took tonight.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions on how to treat it? We have to leave tomorrow & will be out of town until late Sunday but I'll come on here as soon as we get back to see if anyone can tell me what I should do or anything I should put on it.
Thank you.
Sheri/Country

I can't start shots today since we'll be gone tomorrow but I think I have some Terramycin that goes in the water & can have chicken helper put it in. Will that work?

I'm not sure what is wrong with her. But, I agree that you should probably give her antibiotics. Terramycin is generally used for respiratory infections. I think you would be better off using something like Penicillin or Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom