skin balloon

threeepeat

Songster
Dec 26, 2022
Canada
It's amazing how much and how quickly you can learn about coturnix just by diving in and starting. The support provided here is a major part of that rapid learning. Thanks everyone.

The latest for me is that I just noticed one of my new 3 week old chicks has a large skin ball formation on the outside of its upper leg or hip. You can see it on the outside of its feathers. It looks like a little skin balloon. It can still walk, eat, and drink, but it pretty much just stays flopped on its side now.

I'll investigate further and try to take a picture, but does this sound like anything familiar to anyone?

It's amazing how much and how quickly you can learn about coturnix just by diving in and starting. The support provided here is a major part of that rapid learning. Thanks everyone.

The latest for me is that I just noticed one of my new 3 week old chicks has a large skin ball formation on the outside of its upper leg or hip. You can see it on the outside of its feathers. It looks like a little skin balloon. It can still walk, eat, and drink, but it pretty much just stays flopped on its side now.

I'll investigate further and try to take a picture, but does this sound like anything familiar to anyone?

Peculiar, maybe an infection that she's managed to fight off herself? I'd be wary and watch everyone for a week n make sure it doesn't pop up on another just incase it's communicable or something in their enclosure causing it xx

Peculiar, maybe an infection that she's managed to fight off herself? I'd be wary and watch everyone for a week n make sure it doesn't pop up on another just incase it's communicable or something in their enclosure causing it xx
It may have been a swollen joint that calmed down on its own. Or an infection in the joint with some fluid releasing. I've completed a thorough inspection (as far as an uninitiated new quail keeper can do), and I don't see anything.
I have her separated, but she just flew out of the bin and landed about ten feet away so she has strength. She's just super wobbly for some reason. Perhaps a tender joint. I'm pretty sure she wants back in with the other 19 incubator siblings.

I just noticed one on my gander. The hatchery said that it's just a growth. It's crusty at the base, they said to use antibiotic cream if needed. It's on his belly. We are taking him to the vet if and when he needs it removed.
DSCF8805.JPG

Back
Top Bottom