skinned alive -update 18/4/2011 the update we didnt want :(

I've had a pullet severely injured, skin pulled oof the side of her neck , showing her muscles, crop, and and internal organs underneath between muscles. after the initial panic trying to figure out what to put on it that she or the other birds won't peck at, and finally came to a brilliant idea. I ran in the house and grabbed my jar my Redmond pure clay poultice I keep in the drug cupboard. If a mother can pack her son punctured eye with it and leave it there until it fell off on its own, surely this should work on my chicken.
I packed really thick the gaping hole all along the length of its neck,and released it to roam around with the others, and the nieghbor who found her in the first place, would catcher her every day, so i could check to see if the poultice needed to be reapplied here and there where it caked off, and pack some more right over the first application. After a week or so,t he chicken started acting normal again and was running around with the rest of them, and gradually the dried up poultice fell off little by little. When we culled that bird, it had a hard little hard lump of clay in her neck, but otherwise was healed and healthy until culling time. So pure clay poultice thickly applied, the pure clay has the consistency of a gel when mixed with water. Reapply when necessary to keep the whole injured area covered in pure clay, to give it the skin protection it needs until it grows its own skin underneath. Hope that helps.

hi all, Holly is doing super, she outside right now scratching around in her makeshift pen.

i do have a question though, well 2 actually.

1) the wound is healing 'nicely' but on the top of her head you can see the muscle has shrunk back revealing her skull. is this something to be concerned about?

2) the wound to the side of her neck is oozing a clear non-smelling liquid, not a lot just a tiny blob sitting on top of the scab...is this normal healing or start of possible infection??

thanks all....will grab some photos after

Goodness, what good news! Holly is a true trooper! Please give her a hug from a Tn chicken momma, ok?

I like the idea of the clay! Have used it on people/horse wounds but wouldn't have thought of it for a chcikie.

Don't know about question #1, but that is scary. Going to take much care and attention to prevent a bone infection, which would be hard to overcome.
Question #2 - clear is good. No smell is good! It could be lymphatic fluid draining. Or a normal reaction to trauma. Don't stop the drainage! Keep an eye on it. Colored (pus) drainage or a foul odor are indicators of infection. If you're giving her chopped garlic or liquid silver in her water, etc. then there's a good chance that her body will be able to fight off infection.

I kept my injured girl in the bathtub on a white towel so that I could see the color of things immediately (poo, drainage, blood, etc).

wee.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif
Soo cool. Such good news. Whole family, including chickens been thinkin' bout Holly. And such interesting tidbit about the clay. What kind of clay you talking bout? Been gathering info so we can have a first aide kit handy when needed.

I'm so glad she's doing much better. I have had a pheasant with the skull exposed from an injury that healed over just fine without anything except being isolated and given food and water. I am guessing here, but the CLEAR fluid sounds OK as long as she keeps healing. I worked in first aid a long time ago and one of the most helpful sayings comes to mind here; 'when in doubt, do nothing'. If she's doing OK, I'd be tempted to just let her heal...

So glad Holly is healing well! I had a hen that was scalped about a month ago, all the skin gone from her neck, and the skin and muscle gone from the top of her head, her beak ligaments were just sticking out not attached to anything! It was terrible, but now a month later she has grown skin back on all but one small spot on her head, and she even has new feathers! Chickens are amazing creatures, I'm sure Holly will be back to normal in no time! Good job taking care of her!

Back
Top Bottom