Skinning a chicken...WARNING! Graphic Pics!

Quote:
I'd say that's probably right, when I culled my flock of 7 a couple of years back the top hen had significantly more fat than the others (though to be honest they were all quite fatty - spoiled-)

clap.gif
Well done!

*where is the drooling smiley?*

This bird looks YUMMY!

Just finished skinning my first rooster using the info above. :)It went very well. Poor sucker should not have attacked my better half for the second time!! Now, she will be attacking him on a Sunday Dinner Plate!
wink.png

I put the pieces in brine (1/8 cup Kosher salt in 1/2 gallon water) in a zipper bag in the refrigerator. Is this about the correct proportion of salt???
hmm.png

Buster, what breed of chicken is it that you're skinning in the pics?

Also, I made some YUM broth (couple gallons of it) from a wild turkey that my husband shot during bow season, just by slow-cooking the frame for several hours at low heat, with carrots, celery and onion. When it was done, I rapidly chilled the whole pot in a sinkful of ice-water, then strained it through coffee filters to be frozen. I've been using it every time I cook brown rice, instead of plain water, and in any recipe that calls for chicken broth. It's beautiful stuff, and I hope I can duplicate it with the chickens. We don't eat the skin, usually, either, so we'll try both ways, I guess!

Quote:
Turkey stock is very different from chicken stock. I make a lot of soup out of my
excess roos and turkey soup outa fried turkey carcusses. The wild turkey is perfect
for soup and I'm also impressed your hubby hit a turkey with an arrow.

Good post Buster. This is the first time I saw it. I skin the smaller
birds or the ones, like your mean one, who have to be dealt with.
Our normal cullings have been 3 to 5 birds so we fire up our turkey
fryer/scalder for that occasion.

Quote:
I've considered scalding, I just don't know enough about it. I chose skinning because that is how I have processed all of the birds that I have shot hunting and it works great for getting it done quickly after the hunt. I have 3 salmon faverolle hens and a new hampshire red who may follow the one in the pics because they have joined a revolution in which they eat a lot of food but lay no eggs. Guess they don't understand the arrangement here.

Back
Top Bottom