1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skinny Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rocky Top Chick, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a flock of 19 hens and they all seem skinny. The are healthy, eat well, happy and are in no distress, no mites, lice or worms. What can I do to fatten then up? My DH told me that they just take after their "mom". I am not really worried, but I can always feel the breast bone. Most are 18 months old and have always been thin. Anyone else have the same issue?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    What breed?

3. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    All different kinds; leghorns, EE, Russian Orloffs, RIR, BR, Aust, BO, Marans, etc....

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If they are eating, drinking and acting like a chicken should...no internal/external parasites, you really dont have anything to worry about. You can provide them scratch as a treat, maybe once daily. Too much scratch isnt good nutritionwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by