Skinny Cream legbar

gladraffe

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Hi everyone, I noticed that our cream legbar stopped laying eggs a couple of weeks ago and she has gotten extremely skinny. We adopted her so we are not sure of her actual age... She's eating and is walking around normal, so I'm not sure if this is a winter thing or if there's something going on that I'm not aware of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

She's also my profile pic. :D

Tapeworm​

Tapeworms are in the Cestode family and live in the chicken’s intestines. They are easily seen in birds feces. Tapeworms are short, flat white segments the size of a grain of rice that flexes slowly.

Tapeworms may also be found in chicken eggs.

Tapeworms generally do not cause physical damage to the intestinal lining, however, they take nutrients away from the bird, leaving it weak, pale, malnourished and susceptible to other infections.

One variety of tapeworm, Davainea proglottina, can cause intestinal damage which may lead to intestinal infections. If the infection spreads to the chickens head, it may present with neurological problems like wry neck.

Chickens contract tapeworms from infested chickens or eating snails, slugs, beetles, grasshoppers, mini-wisps, ants, earthworms, termites, and houseflies.

Treatment for tapeworms includes Praziquantel, Albendazole or Fenbendazole.

I live in Los Angeles, it has been 'cold' for less than 2 days. She was molting a couple weeks ago, but it was a feather here and there. My boyfriend picked her up the other day and he said that he felt she was extremely skinny than before. I have 4 chicks in the coop and not sure who's droppings are whos...

I live in Los Angeles, it has been 'cold' for less than 2 days. She was molting a couple weeks ago, but it was a feather here and there. My boyfriend picked her up the other day and he said that he felt she was extremely skinny than before. I have 4 chicks in the coop and not sure who's droppings are whos...
This is what I do when I have a bird that is seems 'off':
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

This is what I do when I have a bird that is seems 'off':
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Up to 30% of hens over 2-3 years can suffer from cancer which could cause a sudden weight loss. I would also check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Crop disorders can also cause them to lose weight. Worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeat in 10 days.

Up to 30% of hens over 2-3 years can suffer from cancer which could cause a sudden weight loss. I would also check her crop in early morning before she eats or drinks to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Crop disorders can also cause them to lose weight. Worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeat in 10 days.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom