Skinny hen sits on hocks most of the day

kgawley59

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Hello all, I hope to gain some knowledge and perspective of what's going on with my hen. She's a 2 1/2 yr old Golden Sexlink, who was fluffy, active, and was laying until September. Since then, she has lost weight despite having an appetite and eating, takes a few steps in the run, and sits on her hocks. She doesn't hop up to the perch or walk up/down the ramp. No respiratory issues, and poop looks normal. The other hens have noticed a decline and started pecking on her. She has been separated. I am supplementing her with vitamins and protein. The vet examined her yesterday and really couldn't tell what was going on without blood work, scans, etc. Although I love my pets, I really don't have the resources for all of that while providing care for a human in my household who is battling cancer. The vet also looked at a poop sample under the microscope and it was negative. She was vaccinated for Marek's as a chick. The other hens are fat and sassy. Any thoughts?
Thank you!

How soon after the symptoms started did you start vitamins? Did the vitamins have riboflavin (vitamin B 2) listed on the label. Occasionally chick vitamins do not contain that, and riboflavin deficiency is one that can cause walking on hocks and curled under toes. The sooner it is treated, the better the chances of success in treatment.

Mareks disease can cause those symptoms, especially in only one leg. She could have suffered an injury to her back as well. So sorry that she is suffering from this, and losing weight. The Mareks vaccine is not always 100% effective, so hopefully it isn’t that. Have you ever added birds to your flock since you have had her?

Is she having trouble getting enough to eat and drink because of the bullying? She probably needs to be kept in a dog crate with food and water, but try to keep it inside the coop in sight of the others. If she seems to be suffering or you cannot care for her, I would consider putting her down. It would be good to get a necropsy done by your state vet if you want to get testing for Mareks or whatever was wrong.

Thank for your reply. Yes, she is separated, but the others can still see her. I bring her in at night to keep warm. No new hens. When I take her out on the lawn, she takes a few steps, then sits on her hocks. She pecks the ground while sitting which seems like a normal behavior. I put a dropper full (1.0 ml) Poly-Vi-Sol in a gallon of water for the flock of three, and dip bread in for the sick one. Right now, she is my special needs girl, and I hope just a "tincture of time" will help me with whatever is meant to be.

I doubt that that is enough vitamins for her to combat riboflavin deficiency. Usually if one uses polyvisol, the dosage is 3 drops daily given orally, and who knows if that is even enough since it is for humans. A better choice would be to use a chicken vitamin, such as Vitamins With Lactobacillus by Rooster Booser in the water, or to give her a 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex tablets crushed onto her food. So for 3 hens, just crush a whole tablet onto their daily ration of food. Sprinkle a little water and stir it up. I also have put it in scrambled eggs and chopped it up for my hens. The vitamin B complex for humans is the simplest and probably less expensive to use. Be sure not to get B12, but B complex.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-14_7-46-13.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-14_7-46-13.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2019-11-14_7-47-16.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-14_7-47-16.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2019-11-14_7-49-14.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-14_7-49-14.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
No mites or lice. I am giving her B complex as described by Eggcessive in the earlier post. I will continue with this and TLC. Just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom