Skipping a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linda in San Diego, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    The Delightful Dozen are 21 weeks old. One hen, a RIR I believe, has begun to lay. I got in layer pellet, one feeder has layer, the other is finishing up grower. The girls free range for 4 - 6 hours a day, and get healthy treats from the garden.
    1 egg Saturday - in the run, 1 egg Sunday - in the coop, 1 egg Monday - in a nest box [​IMG] ZERO egg Tuesday! Is that normal?
    Any better suggestions about feeding them when there is quite a difference in maturity? Thanks All!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah it's normal. My first girl to lay did so every other day for awhile, now it's two days in a row followed by a day off.
    Are they all 21 weeks old? If so, you can go ahead and give them all layer. Supplement with oyster shell.

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks for the information . Yes, they are all 21 weeks old, but it only seems to be the one laying.
    Thanks also for the conformation on the feed, I think they will all start pretty soon....

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also only have one laying for about 2 weeks now. She was laying an egg every day for 2 or 3 days and then taking a day off, but has now laid an egg every day for the past 5 days. I don't know that she will keep up with the every day thing, but at least I am getting some eggs. If only the other three that are old enough would get with the game!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by