Skittish 2 Week Old Chick

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
I have 5 new chicks, almost all different breeds, and one of them seems to be much more skittish than the others. She's about 2-3 weeks old along with another one and the rest are only about 1-2 weeks old. All of them are a little cautious of people as to be expected but this one girl in particular will run away the minute she sees a hand. She's supposedly a blue rock but she doesn't look like blue rocks I've seen online. She's all black with yellow-ish orange specks on her wings. The rest are 2 buff orpingtons, an Easter Egger (labeled Ameraucana), and a sapphire gem (also 2-3 weeks old). Is this normal? Will she grow out of it? Could she be a rooster and therefore be more hostile towards people? I've been making sure to not come at them from above and slowly lower my hand onto the floor of the brooder. I don't pick them up if they try to run away. To get them used to me, I've been feeding them out of my hand using their starter feed. They love it. However the skittish one does a couple pecks and runs away. I got a grub mix with fly larva and meal worms to use as occasional treats but I wanted to wait until they were a little bigger to ensure it doesn't hurt their stomaches. This is my first time raising chickens so although I've been doing lot's of research, I still worry I'm doing something wrong.

Skittish chickens should be completely normal, there are some breeds that are just less social than others. I have one Egyptian Fayoumi who won't even take food from my hand because she's so skittish.
That's good to know. Luckily the others seem to be pretty friendly. I'll just have to be extra considerate about how I interact with her

Back
Top Bottom