Skittish chicks that were raised by hen

YzmaChicken1

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
Hello! Two months ago I gave my broody hen 3 day old chicks to raise and she did a great job at protecting them from the rest of the flock, including their owners. Now the chicks have left their mama hen, and are extremely skittish. If I just walk past them they will freak out and run away. I knew the chicks would be more skittish, but I didn’t think they would be this skittish! Our previous hens are extremely nice and are pretty much like dogs! I am just a little upset that these chicks are SO skittish!

Does anyone know how to make them friendlier- if it’s even possible? Will they be less skittish when they start laying eggs? I would like to at least be able to catch them and hold them, but that isn’t possible with how skittish they are! Thanks in advance!! :)

They will get less skittish when they mature. Right now they are at the bottom of the pecking order and they are very vulnerable. It’s understandable that they run from any hint of danger. You are right that maturity will make a difference though.

You can get them more used to you if you take them off the roost at night and handle them for a moment and then put them back. Another trick is to take treats with you and just sit calmly in their vicinity. Eventually you will seem less scary and the treats will win them over and the more you do that the calmer they will be.

They will get less skittish when they mature. Right now they are at the bottom of the pecking order and they are very vulnerable. It’s understandable that they run from any hint of danger. You are right that maturity will make a difference though.

You can get them more used to you if you take them off the roost at night and handle them for a moment and then put them back. Another trick is to take treats with you and just sit calmly in their vicinity. Eventually you will seem less scary and the treats will win them over and the more you do that the calmer they will be.
That makes me feel a lot better! Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely try handling them at night. I have been trying to give them treats while I sit with them, but the rest of the flock will eat all of the treats before the chicks get the chance. Should I try to sit in the chicken run with just the chicks and try to give them treats there? Thanks again! :D

Treat them like pets, which requires hand feeding there favorite treat and spending time with them. You and the chicks need to develop an understanding and trust.

Also chicks and chickens respond better with repetitive activities. So consistency will help narrow your time sooner with them.

Treat them like pets, which requires hand feeding there favorite treat and spending time with them. You and the chicks need to develop an understanding and trust.

Also chicks and chickens respond better with repetitive activities. So consistency will help narrow your time sooner with them.
Okay! thanks so much for all the advice! :D :D

That makes me feel a lot better! Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely try handling them at night. I have been trying to give them treats while I sit with them, but the rest of the flock will eat all of the treats before the chicks get the chance. Should I try to sit in the chicken run with just the chicks and try to give them treats there? Thanks again! :D
Yes if you can isolate the chicks that would make things easier. Another thing that I do is keep treats in my pocket and don’t take them out until the other chickens have wandered off.

All my 18 swedish flower hen chicks were all treated with that method since they hatched from an incubator. So I became there teacher and friend.

Currently all chicks swarm around my feet when I'm walking to them. Which makes walking a little difficult without stepping on one of them.

They will probably grow out of it. Try to feed them, pet them, treat them like pets. The more they get used to you the less skittish they will become! Just make sure they know you. Since they're young they will more likely imprint on you then if they were adults!

Back
Top Bottom