Skunk around the Coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PolkaDot77, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hi all, We are having some predator problems lately. Tonight I heard the hens making alarming noises, so I ran out and immediately smelled a skunk. I made lots of noise so as to not sneak up on him and get myself sprayed. Eventually I saw him in some bushes near the coop and he trotted along. My question is, do you think he was trying to get in the coop? I know skunks will go after eggs and maybe even baby chicks, but will they get in and cause harm to the hens themselves? Or do you think he was just looking around in the area and that caused to girls to freak out when they heard him?

This is all after a crazy last week, when we spent a week with stressed out hens barely sleeping a wink while he were having a fox problem. A red fox was trying to dig into the coop and we set a trap and were finally able to catch him after 4 long nights of him coming around and keeping the chickens on edge. Now that he's gone, I'm afraid the skunk has moved in. We live in a quiet neighborhood, but still right in a city, and have never had any predator problems before except the occasional dog barking at the run trying to get in.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] what did you do with the fox? i never seen one up close and i live in the country. someone on here traped a skunk and then didnt know what to do with it. it was pretty funny. i think they found a neighbor with a gun after a couple days.lol

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, he was trying to get in, skunks will go after eggs and maybe chicks.
    You could trap the skunk too, they are often fairly docile when trapped...but covering the trap with a blanket or tarp is a good idea just in case.
    Hopefully you are permanently eliminating these predators, or they will just be back.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Chickens in the dark are sitting targets for any predators they can't see very well at all. I could definitely see a skunk killing adult birds and now that he knows they are there he will be coming back. Your best bet would be to trap and kill it.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A skunk is a deadly predator of chickens. Sitting hens or hens with baby chicks to hover or keep warm on the ground at night are especially vulnerable to skunks. The skunk is a member of the weasel family along with martins, fishers, otters, and minks.

6. PolkaDot77

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for your replies! Since I live in a city I will have to call a licensed commercial trapper to get another trap out here. Luckily, I am in touch with one from last week's fox. As to what he did with the fox; I imagine he is probably going to become a coat or something. The chickens coop is lighted right now with a heat lamp as it has been negative temperatures at night. Hopefully I can get the skunk trapped in a couple days. The poor girls have been on edge for over a week now with one predator or another investigating the coop. They are safe as I have the wire dug into the ground and placed cinder blocks around the spots the fox had started to dig at. I just feel badly that they see or hear the predators and all freak out.

7. abbaschickens

abbaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    Skunks will take chickens and walk away. When I was a chicken newbie, I didn't have a closing door. The skunk walked in several nights walked up the ramp picked off dinner. Caught 5 minutes after setting the live animal trap in the door way. Skunk went to skunky heaven. Sad learning curve but much better coop today.

8. PolkaDot77

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for the advice guys! We have a trap set but haven't seen it in the are lately. The chicken wire is dug into the ground, though, so hopefully even if it comes around no chickens will be taken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by