Skunk Keeps visiting Chickens

Any idea on what the laxative would do to domesticated critters like cats? Also any links to that electric fencing you mentioned?

As to the hardware cloth on the ground let me see if I can explain it a bit better. I was going to dig down about 6 inches on the inside of the vinyl fence, since the other side isn't my property. Then I was going to lay out the hardware cloth and run it up the inside of the fence as well. then bury it with 6 inches of soil and place the bricks on top on the inside of the fence, mostly to keep the chickens from tearing it up. They love digging and rolling around right next to the vinyl fence, which makes it even easier for the skunks to get into the yard under the fence.
Usually, 6" isn't deep enough. I have my skirting out at least 24".

I had skunks living under a shed of mine once and was told by our local Animal Control to get some fox urine (it's a natural predator of the skunk), squirt it on some tennis balls and roll them under the shed. The skunks didn't come back for over a year, but then they showed back up. I just rolled more fox urine under the shed and haven't seen them since. Not sure if it would freak the chickens out though... Good luck!

I havent had skunks attack the chickens before. They just want the eggs. The chickens will freak out even if it is just an armadillo, which we have in daytime too. Of more concern is skunks carrying rabies though. You mught just trap and kill it if it is bothering you. Dont feel bad. Its no different than killing a mouse in your house. Make sure the coop is secure from raccoons though, since they will kill your birds at their first opportunity.

Doubtful the cats would eat it, but the skunk isn't going to leave any, so it's not a big deal.
Sounds like you have a good plan with the hardware cloth.
Check Amazon for the fencer, wire, insulators, and gate hooks.

Usually, 6" isn't deep enough. I have my skirting out at least 24".

I was meaning I could old go 6" deep, just don't want pissed off neighbors if I cut through their cable, but I planned to come out at least 2 feet into the yard.

I had skunks living under a shed of mine once and was told by our local Animal Control to get some fox urine (it's a natural predator of the skunk), squirt it on some tennis balls and roll them under the shed. The skunks didn't come back for over a year, but then they showed back up. I just rolled more fox urine under the shed and haven't seen them since. Not sure if it would freak the chickens out though... Good luck!

I was planning on sealing up the backside of the shed where they are getting under it. It is about 1.5 feet away from the vinyl fence on a side of the property that I do have a neighbor on. If the urine soaked tennis balls scared them off that would give me a chance to seal it up. I just heard that this time of year you have to be careful sealing up places because you could trap babies and the stink from them after they died could be really bad. Also, where do you pick up fox urine, I imagine they don't just carry it at the grocery store.

Doubtful the cats would eat it, but the skunk isn't going to leave any, so it's not a big deal.
Sounds like you have a good plan with the hardware cloth.
Check Amazon for the fencer, wire, insulators, and gate hooks.

Thanks I will look into that. I am a bit worried they if they eat the laxative they are going to just mess all under my shed, but I would hope the smell of that would dissipate faster than if I sealed it up first and accidentally trapped either an adult or babies under there. I have been out reinforcing some areas of the chicken yard but going to have to hit the hardware store or amazon before I can get it fully upgraded.

I was meaning I could old go 6" deep, just don't want pissed off neighbors if I cut through their cable, but I planned to come out at least 2 feet into the yard.

I was planning on sealing up the backside of the shed where they are getting under it. It is about 1.5 feet away from the vinyl fence on a side of the property that I do have a neighbor on. If the urine soaked tennis balls scared them off that would give me a chance to seal it up. I just heard that this time of year you have to be careful sealing up places because you could trap babies and the stink from them after they died could be really bad. Also, where do you pick up fox urine, I imagine they don't just carry it at the grocery store.

LOL...no. I was able to find it at an archery store. You wouldn't believe all the different kinds of urine they sell! Who knew?!

Keep in mind, if you have the bricks on top of the hardware cloth, then you defeat the purpose. An animal will only start digging just beyond the bricks. My run is surrounded with the wire on of the ground. I then seeded grass, and it grew up through the wire, hiding it from view. How to secure it to the fence, I don't know. I know there are a couple of people with coops on here where they have electric fencing.

Attach the hardware cloth to the fence with "hog ringers" or else "J" clips.

Back
Top Bottom