Skunk killed my BCM

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joedie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I found a BCM pullet yesterday that a skunk had killed and tried to drag her body under the barn but she didn't fit. She was on her back stuck under the edge of the barn which has a raised floor. I knew it was a skunk because of the smell. They free range and this particular pullet never came in at dusk with the others and we couldn't see her in the dark when we locked them up so apparently she was left out that night.
    We put out a havahart trap at the location we found her and caught the skunk this morning. My DH covered the trap with a big moving blanket and its being dispatched now with carbon monoxide. He read on one of the university ag websites that this is the most humane way to dispatch and no spray should occur so we'll see. I'll just bet theres more under there though. It also said mothballs will repel them. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry for your loss.

Bury the body deep because if he doesn't spray his body will let lose when he starts to decompose. Let me know how the CO method works. I've never used it because I rarely trap predators, but it sounds in theory like it would be a humane way to dispatch them. It has been my observation, however, that what sounds good in theory doesn't always work out so well in reality.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by