Skunk!!!!!

PoultryPotts

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Southwest IN
Earlyier today I was invited to a friends house for supper. So I went to put the chickens but I couldn't get two of them in. One was a austorplorp pullet the other a bufforpington hen. I was so worried because my dogs are chicken eaters. So when I got home this evening I went straight to the chicklen house. When I got to the chicken house I saw a sunk run under it. Just last weeked I shot a skunk while hunting. My father yelled at me for it. I was worried because my dad said skunks while kill chickens at any chance they get. I found the pullet 3feet away under a rose bush it was completely unharmed. I am really worried about the hen tomrough I am going to set traps and set my gun by the door. Is there any thing else I can do. Any sugestions will be very helpfull. And hope for the best that I will find the hen tomrough in a tree.

Be careful and don't get sprayed.
roll.png

Hope you find your hen safe & sound.

Imp

I just asked this question about ridding my own coop area of a skunk. There was a reply from another member who said a skunk ate several of her chickens. Mine have not been harmed but now I want to trap the sucker and get him out of my yard. Someone said to lay a dark blanket over the cage with a slot for the handle and if the skunk doesn't see you it won't spray. They said they do this every time and never have been sprayed. Hope it helps.

I would also add that trapping,covering are good and it is NOT necessary to kill em. I have been doing this for 7 years and have trapped many creatures(cats get neutered, wild animals get a spray paint job(to see if they repeat) and turned loose and I have NEVER had issues with predators. I live on 6 acres with appx. 60 acres surrounding, mostly wooded, and feel that PREVENTION is the key so the wild animals don't get the idea its a free meal(altho coons clean up the bait every time they don't like screaming from me) I also trap my chickens but they just get turned loose and are happy to of had some cat food!

Back
Top Bottom