Skunks can fit through what size hole?

Skunks must be kinda like rats because I just witnessed a skunk go through a fence panel with 3.25" square holes. It took a little effort to fit through but really wasn't any problem. It was nearly full grown and not a baby skunk I might add.
We have a saying in Germany, that applies to rodents and an a lot of other small animals: »Where the head passes, the body passes.«
I don't know if a Skunk is a rodent, but it certainly applies to those.
The interesting question is: What would you have done had the skunk become stuck in your fence? :sick

Probably would need a grease gun to get him out. :thumbsup

M3-M3A1-Grease-Gun-9.jpg

We had skunk problem in early fall. I had 2 pen areas, one was an enclosed hen house, one was an enclosed sunroom connected to the the hen house with a dirt floor. I had 2 hens molting and not flying in the sunroom. A skunk dug under the sunroom, small hole, and ate my 2 hens, head and craw,....in whine-y voice... "Maybe it was not a skunk, they ususally just go for eggs." Well repeat it WAS a skunk- they don't chase, but if it is a young chick or a hen that doen't fight much they will go for a hen. One was a 10 year old silky- non-flyer and the other was also old SFH, and molting. Also we put out a live trap caught the skunk, and per-the game ranger relocated skunk where game ranger suggested. In the future I would put tarp on trap before setting it up.

We had skunk problem in early fall. I had 2 pen areas, one was an enclosed hen house, one was an enclosed sunroom connected to the the hen house with a dirt floor. I had 2 hens molting and not flying in the sunroom. A skunk dug under the sunroom, small hole, and ate my 2 hens, head and craw,....in whine-y voice... "Maybe it was not a skunk, they ususally just go for eggs." Well repeat it WAS a skunk- they don't chase, but if it is a young chick or a hen that doen't fight much they will go for a hen. One was a 10 year old silky- non-flyer and the other was also old SFH, and molting. Also we put out a live trap caught the skunk, and per-the game ranger relocated skunk where game ranger suggested. In the future I would put tarp on trap before setting it up.

Yes I do have an animal trap but I'm not sure I want to catch a skunk in it. Sorry to hear about your chickens. That's kinda what I'm afraid of happening to my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom