Skunks can fit through what size hole?

Probably would need a grease gun to get him out. :thumbsup

M3-M3A1-Grease-Gun-9.jpg

Skunks must be kinda like rats because I just witnessed a skunk go through a fence panel with 3.25" square holes. It took a little effort to fit through but really wasn't any problem. It was nearly full grown and not a baby skunk I might add.
We have a saying in Germany, that applies to rodents and an a lot of other small animals: »Where the head passes, the body passes.«
I don't know if a Skunk is a rodent, but it certainly applies to those.
The interesting question is: What would you have done had the skunk become stuck in your fence? :sick

To the OP, I once had a skunk that kept digging in to the barn.......ultimately passed through a crack of only 2 inches. It refused to take no for an answer and eventually died of lead poisoning.

On the subject of where to release animals......a long time ago, hog prices tanked to the point a person trying to feed hogs would loose about $100 each on them. So if you had a bunch.....what to do with em? One guy's creative solution was to load up about 100 of them, hauled them to the center of town and cut em loose there.......his rational was city folks had been dumping their dogs and cats and other animals on him for years.......it was time for payback.

So you could follow his example, haul em to the town square and set em loose. (kidding). If you are adverse to terminating your trapee, better solution is to not trap in the first place. Turn your focus to predator proofing your coop so you (and your birds) have nothing to worry about. Long term, that is the best solution of all.

We had skunk problem in early fall. I had 2 pen areas, one was an enclosed hen house, one was an enclosed sunroom connected to the the hen house with a dirt floor. I had 2 hens molting and not flying in the sunroom. A skunk dug under the sunroom, small hole, and ate my 2 hens, head and craw,....in whine-y voice... "Maybe it was not a skunk, they ususally just go for eggs." Well repeat it WAS a skunk- they don't chase, but if it is a young chick or a hen that doen't fight much they will go for a hen. One was a 10 year old silky- non-flyer and the other was also old SFH, and molting. Also we put out a live trap caught the skunk, and per-the game ranger relocated skunk where game ranger suggested. In the future I would put tarp on trap before setting it up.

I had a issue with skunks a few years ago. We are rural on a dead end road and someone was catching them and releasing them in our area.They were digging up my yard. I put live traps out and in around two weeks I caught around a dozen skunks. One night I got two skunks in one trap. Another night I went out to check on the chicks because I had forgotten to close their pop door. When I went out there was a skunk attempting to dig under the gate to their pen. Somehow the pop door was closed just enough that some of the chicks couldn't get in. I stomped my feet at the skunk and it turned towards me and stomped it's feet at me. I went into the house and got my rifle and went back out and attempted to scare the skunk off and again it stomped it's feet at me, it seemed persistent. I shot it and put a bucket over it until I could deal with it in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom