Skunks living 30 feet from my coop !!

I caught a skunk in my coop last week. It hadn't hurt my girls, but they were all scared out of their little bird heads. One of them had laid an egg, I would like to think that's what it was after.

Aren't skunks in the same family as badgers and weasels? And they both kill chickens, so I would assume a skunk would too.

I am now bringing my girls inside at night, but letting them in the yard during the day.

The hole the skunk dug to get into the coop was amazingly tiny, only 3" by 3". So I might reinforce my yard wire if I were you.

I have read that skunks hate the smell of mothballs, and it has been used as a way to get skunks to leave their dens. I haven't tried it personally though.

I would reinforce the wire and let the skunks raise their family. We have had pet skunks here, and they are absolutely wonderful little animals-extremely intelligent with tons of personality. I think yours are probably just using this den for the seasonal purpose of raising a family and will move on once the kits are raised. They are not fond of loud noises. If you have a dog, that will help keep them away. You might also tie tin pans or something around the pen to make noise to keep them away. They actually prefer vegetables to meat, although that might be different in the wild. They love popcorn as well. Maybe if you put out cat food and popcorn(far from the coop), they would not feel the need to get into your coop. Even as an avid skunk fan and someone who would never kill a wild animal, I would definitely reinforce the coop with a smaller mesh hardware cloth just in case. They can live side by side with us and our pets if we take the right precautions. After all, we moved into their territory first, not the other way around. Good luck, and enjoy watching the skunks grow up!

"I have read that skunks hate the smell of mothballs,"

I have a friend that swears by mothballs as a way to deter skunks. However, it is actually illegal to use mothballs in a manner not described on the box (most boxes actually tell you this). I am guessing that it has to do with chemical makeup of the mothballs.

As they say..., "Let your conscience be your guide". Personally, I would probably use them if it works.

Mark

Monday 5-26 morning update:

I bought moth balls yesterday afternoon with the plan to put them in the holes in an effort to encourage the skunks to relocate. I saw 2 babies last evening at 6pm, playing just outside the biggest entrance. The sun was still out at this time.

As I was calling my girls to put them away, the skunks disappeared into the ground. I waited for darkness.

At 9 pm, I went up the hill, and with a flashlight, saw 2 babies, one in the big hole and the 2nd sticking it's little head thru another hole closeby. I have to tell you they were pretty darn cute. Clearly young ones. They did not seem fearful, rather curious of me. They disappeared in the holes after a about a minute. I put some mothballs near the hole entrance.

As I was walking back to the house, I saw a third skunk foraging nearby and down the hill in a small culvert on our property. I went to investigate, wanted to see if this was the mother, but instead it turned out to be a third young one, about the same size as the ones in the den.

Could it be that Mom Skunk is not around and so the young ones are hungry and venturing outside the den during the day? They seem to be staying very close to the entrance.....

I hope wildlife rescue is open today for more info. I realize that the skunks have been some 30 feet from my coop for some time and no problems but still I don't want to take any chances. I have big breeds and have seen my girls take on a feral cat, but not to sure about the skunks. More later.
Anne

Anne

a skunk will kill a chicken duck etc give it a chance and watch what happens..so if you want to trust them go right ahead the outcome will not be a nice one never trust any varmit..

While skunks are beautiful creatures, they ARE predators and will wipe out a small flock of chickens in a short time. They have amazing claws perfectly suited for digging (think about the holes they dug for themselves to live in). And, they WILL absolutely fit through at 4" x 2" hole. We have that same fencing around the perimeter of our yard and find at least one skunk in our yard (outside the front door at that) every year. We've seen them squish themselves through the fence.

If you aren't inclined to move them out permanently (think firearm), I would definitely take EVERY precaution with your coop. Reinforce the 4 x 2 fencing with hardware cloth, not chicken wire as they can chew through that quickly, and make sure all your gate closures are skunk proof as well. Put carabiners or some kind of hooks on them. Skunks ARE bright, resourceful critters.

Let us know how it turns out.

Edited to add........even if this group moves on of their own will, or with assistance, be aware that there will be more to replace them.

Edited a second time for spelling and punctuation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit........not sure how my post, or part of it anyway ended up here twice, so I'm erasing this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I am going to take the precautions you suggest and reinforce the pen wire. The latches are able to be locked so I am covered there. Cement floor in the coop and also around the pen.

I heard from our wildlife rescue center and they tell me that the little ones probably aren't completely weaned yet or Mom would have taken them with her. They also told me it is not unusual for the little ones to start exploring close to the den during the day. They reported that once Mom has weaned the babies, she will leave the area taking them with her and that skunks won't kill a full grown chicken (I don't think that is accurate after all your posts)

They sell coyote feces which apparently can be spread around the site and will strongly encourage the skunks to move on. Destroying the den will also prevent them from coming back to the same site, but they could easily re-den close by next year.

I would surely like to live peacfully with the wildlife I have in my area. Thank you for the reponses.
Anne

I'm not sure where the Wildlife Rescue person that you talked to got their information, but skunks indeed will kill a fully grown chicken. I've seen it happen many times, although thankfully, not in my own flock.

Never heard that about coyote feces. Interesting........if you try it, please let us know your findings.

I don't want to be gross, but what about peeing out around the chicken pen. Once every two or three days. I've seen this stop squirrels, my neighbor put a radio in her garage when a opossum moved in. Moth balls may be helpful, I don't like the smell or chemicals. My husband helps me in this, and yes we live in the country!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom