Skunks living 30 feet from my coop !!

Cute pics! It's sad their parents were killed
sad.png
Skunks are extremely intellingent, and the descented ones make wonderful pets. I still vote for letting animals, including predators, take their rightful place in the world while we take precautions like a strong, solid fence. It's a shame how many species we have driven to extinction and how many animals have died needlessly because we feel they do not have a right to exist where we choose to build our homes.

Normally I am not for the killing of predators. But these skunks were living under my side porch. I can not have my children and cats sprayed for simply coming in the house. All of the 9 babies were raised to 2 weeks by us and then we released them in a different part of the county. A part where it is owned by the state. I think they were quiet safe where we left them. I also was never one for shooting ground hogs. I always said leave them alone they are not hurting anyone. Well, then my 2 year old fell into a new hole that was just dug and almost broke her leg. To me my daughter is more important than any old ground hog. (as cute as they may be
wink.png
) I think that there are enough ground hogs, coons, skunks, opossums, red tailed hawks, feral cats and dogs, coyotes, rats, and snakes. They can feed off of each other and never need any of my chickens. I pay good money for them. And my income is from my chickens. I need to protect them. Would you be ok with a skunk taking away form your income? I am not getting huffy puffy. I am just stating the facts. I breed and sell chickens. I sell fertile eggs, newly hatched chicks, adult chickens, eggs for eating, and meat birds. It is my income and I depend on it.
big_smile.png
Some have chickens for hobby. I love my chickens they are a hobby for me too, but first they are my income. I hope that you all can understand that. I did get the permission from the game warden first. I did nothing illegal. I hope no one on here gets upset with me. I just wanted to share my story.
smile.png

We have a skunk living in our neighborhood. I've wanted to shoot it just because it stinks the place up. You can smell it for a mile.

Tuesday update-noon:

uh oh.......2 babies at the mouth of the den. I guess moth balls don't work so well after all.....They look pretty young.......when they saw me, they just went back down in the hole, no hurry, whatever.....
Anne

Oh dear! If I can think of any other idea's, I will certainly let you know!

*Harley's girl*: I feel the same as you. People don't understand everything. They have their idea as to what is right and we have ours! You were simply protecting your chickens and children. My house is a hunter free home as well as the 8 acres that I live on. BUT, when it comes to protecting my children and chickens, I will kill anything that harms or that stands to threaten them. I am not going to play save the animals when my children or chickens are at stake. I back you up 100%! You did what was necessary and did your best to fix the outcome. You did just fine!
smile.png

Sorry, adondro. I didn't mean to go off topic here!
smile.png

Quote:
Did you try animal control? I am curious to see what they said. I am quiet certain that they have 2 holes. You could try filling in the hole (entrance) they would still be able to get out but it may make them want to relocate. I wouldn't want to dig out my front door every day.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom