Skunks

We had a skunk we thought killed our ducks. turned out the neighbor's dog had mauled them and I happened to see the skunk when he was trying to haul one off.
We caught it in a live trap a few days later. I called 4 different agencys to come get it and none of them would. The wild life expert told me "Skunks are scavengers and may go after eggs but will not kill full grown ducks or chickens. Skunks are nocturnal and will go to sleep in the trap during the day and will be very lethargic, the trap can then be covered before moving to relocate. Quietly walk up and cover wlile they are asleep. A skunk has a limited amount of spray to use at one time and will not use it unless they feel their life is in danger. You can get quite close to them if you are slow and easy."
I was able to cover the trap and move and release the skunk at another location. It was so cute I couldn't bear the thought of my husband shooting it when he got home, especially when we realized the skunk could not have mauled the ducks since he would not have been able to catch them. (both died later that night)
The neighbors dog, I had caught in our yard several times and know he was coming in the yard at night too (left his calling card) We haven't seen him in the yard since the CAT chased him out about a month ago, a few days after the ducks were mauled.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom