sleeping chicks

wesandsam

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
halifax Nova Scotia
Anyone have any good sleeping chick stories?
I love watching them fall asleep when they are standing up and there heads slowley lower to the ground till they fall over and wake them selves up... makes me laugh every time.

I'm still acclimating to living with chickens. I've dealt with dogs, and horses, and live with a cat so I know how to read their body language. The last time I had a bird was in high school, and that was a parakeet. So now that I've leaped in with three pullets and two chicks, I've been watching and interacting as much as possible. The Peeps (what I call the pair of chicks) are only a few weeks old and still have their baby fluff on their heads. Since they're small, I let them free range when I'm outside. I came running the first few times I heard the "PEEP! PEEP! PEEP!!!" of their "I has FOOD!" call when they've found something tasty like a worm or bug. I've found that after a while they'll let out that strident peeping while standing next to me, giving me expectant looks. Apparently that's my cue to pick them up and warm them against me so they can take a nap. They like perching on my arm and they just sink down, letting their wings droop while resting their beaks against me. Here's a pic of Fluffasaurus taking a dirt nap after her dirt bath.

Sleeping on my shoulder, I was even able to get up and walk around with it like that! Chicks are so determined to sleep sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom