Sleeping Hen

xx Georgina xx

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
In my post yesterday I wrote about my light Sussex with an upset tummy but we have just got another hen who is not doing great.
She is a pure white bantam
She has been sleeping a lot! Pretty much mostly all day
She won't eat and she won't drink.
She looks like she is doing a poo but there's been no poo from her

I wish I could offer expert advice but I've only been a byc keeper for about 9 months.
Does she have anything in her crop at all?
Is she laying? Could she be egg bound? I guess if that was the case she would be pretty uncomfortable.
How old is she?
Have you tried tempting her with favourite treats or scrambled eggs. Hopefully someone with more experience will offer more helpful advice!
Good luck!

I wish I could offer expert advice but I've only been a byc keeper for about 9 months.
Does she have anything in her crop at all?
Is she laying? Could she be egg bound? I guess if that was the case she would be pretty uncomfortable.
How old is she?
Have you tried tempting her with favourite treats or scrambled eggs. Hopefully someone with more experience will offer more helpful advice!
Good luck!

She has rats in the coop which we keep getting rid of
I don't think she is laying not all my chickens are
She is about 1 i think
Ya i have tried getting her to eat some grass but she went to sleep while it was in front of her

However she has been treated for feather mires as you can see in the images some father's are growing back

Last edited:

The photos was just a minute ago you can see that she will also in front of the drinking bowl but don't drink it
Is fresh and i change it every day and if it gets a little bit dirty i replace it with fresh water and clean the feeder

Last edited:
Awe. She looks so sad.
Failing a crop feed (sometimes called needle feed) to give her something in her crop and hopefully give her some energy, I'm not sure what else to suggest. It's not a task I'd want to take on solo and I didn't find it pleasant but it helped my roo when he wasn't eating.
Has she had any other symptoms you have noticed?

Maybe try and get a smaller bowl of water and hold it right up to her beak, maybe dip her beak in or to try and get her to take some.
Hope something works for you!

Maybe try and get a smaller bowl of water and hold it right up to her beak, maybe dip her beak in or to try and get her to take some.
Hope something works for you!

Nothing worked at lunch time she died, it was so bad :(
This morning i dropped water on her beak and she drank the drips and take little bit off water but when she stopped she would not even take a nibble of any food I'm guessing she only would take liquids
I can't believe she's gone

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom