Sleeping in a tree

Anyone else have a chicken that suddenly decided she didn't want to sleep in her coop she wants to sleep in a tree?
Check to make sure there isn't a reason, such as crowing, bullying, etc. Bust some just like trees better! We had this happen last year. 3 older hens just suddenly decided the tree was where they wanted the. We would pull them out of the tree and put them in the coop night after night. Until I got tired of it, trimmed their wings and cut the lowest limbs off the tree!😂

Check to make sure there isn't a reason, such as crowing, bullying, etc. Bust some just like trees better! We had this happen last year. 3 older hens just suddenly decided the tree was where they wanted the. We would pull them out of the tree and put them in the coop night after night. Until I got tired of it, trimmed their wings and cut the lowest limbs off the tree!😂
Sorry about those typos! I meant to say "crowding" not crowing and "the tree was where they wanted to be!"

I agree with the great advice above: something happened that made this bird not feel safe in the usual roost. Predator scare, infestation (could start with one bird more affected), bullying (especially if some or all have recently or are currently approaching point of lay. Not much is said about this last possibility, but it happened to my flock once--a seemingly perfect integration reversed itself because the older hens couldn't tolerate the invaders' starting to sing the egg song.

I have 2 that sleep in a tree they started when something attacked them in their coop. Now that’s their routine. They are both olive egger the rest of the chicken go in the coop every night.
Coops can be death traps if they aren't secure.If you've upgraded the coop and made it safe you'll have to retrain them to roost inside.They will be killed sleeping in trees outdoors.

I agree with the great advice above: something happened that made this bird not feel safe in the usual roost. Predator scare, infestation (could start with one bird more affected), bullying (especially if some or all have recently or are currently approaching point of lay. Not much is said about this last possibility, but it happened to my flock once--a seemingly perfect integration reversed itself because the older hens couldn't tolerate the invaders' starting to sing the egg song.
I recommend re-homing them if the coop is secure but they're still afraid to use it my (reply was intended for op sorry!)

Back
Top Bottom