sleeping in nesting box

Jurassic Wolf

Songster
Jun 27, 2018
NJ
We got 3 chicks about 21 weeks old that are not laying yet. I've tried blocking it off with bricks and cardboard, and they just kind of bust through it. Also we have 3 ceramic eggs in there and they just throw them out of the nesting box and bury them. Any ideas to get them to sleep on the roost?

You need to re-enforce your blocking off of the nests/make it sturdier.
Do you have a picture of the inside of your coop and the nesting boxes?

You can also try placing each bird on the roosts at night, that may help them get a clue, but I've found there's always a stubborn 1 or 2 that is going to roost in her own good time, so....if she finds a nice spot besides the nesting boxes to snuggle down, then I leave her be - eventually everybody decides to roost.

You could use plywood to block off the boxes. Mine is cardboard but taped on opposite side so they can’t knock it down at top and bottom. Now they are happy to roost in the coop at night. You could also go in 30 min after sun sets and move them to proper roost.

First, make sure your roosts will accommodate and are accessible to all your birds,
and that they are ~12" higher than the nests.

I rigged a permanent hinged cover for my nest bank, I close it off about an hour before roost time, then uncover after dark when I lock up...easy peasey and it's always there when I need it.

full

full

Thanks aart! I have two brahmas who can't really fly too well so if I make the roosts that high should i add a ramp?

Back
Top Bottom