Sleeping on floor of coop

Please get a fecal float test before you worm your flock. It’s important to know what, if any, worms are a problem in order to treat correctly. Not all wormers treat all things and the tests are not expensive. My dogs vet doesn’t see chickens but sends for testing twice a year for me.

My dogs vet doesn’t see chickens but sends for testing twice a year for me.

My vet does see chickens but won't run a fecal float unless I physically bring the chicken in for a check up, which I find frustrating. I'm not too concerned about worms because everyone else seems fine, so the worming would be mostly preventative. I just want to do the simplest worming treatment because last time with the paste was tough on my girls and Willow is already in a weakened state.

I've got a 2.5 year old, red sex link that has taken to sleeping on the floor of the coop. Willow had been head hen, but is going through her first real molt (she completely skipped last year) and it has really impacted her in a negative way. Willow is eating OK, her poop seems good (albeit stuck to her since she won't roost at night) but her comb is very pale and crumpled (it used to stand straight up). She stands quietly, fluffed up for much of the day, but gets very vigorous when I come out with mealworms or other protein treats.

I have been blocking off the nesting boxes in the evening because I have a different hen that loves to sleep in them and I'm trying to break her of the habit. The others, including Willow, had started following suit. But since she's seemed so uncomfortable, tonight I left the nesting boxes open so Willow could sleep in one if she wanted. She's still on the floor of the coop.

Has anyone else encountered this? Could this just be a hard molt or is there something else going on?
I have 3 golden sexlinks and they all sleep on the floor and there is plenty of room on the roosts I wouldn't worry too much about it and if she was sleeping on a roost before she will probably go back too it after she is done molting

Molting is uncomfortable for chickens and she may find it easier sleeping on the floor instead of being pressed against flockmates on a roost. I wouldn't let her sleep in a nest but floor can be fine if you have plenty of soft bedding.

Instead of worming or treating for disease (since from all indications it doesn't sound like she has anything like that) I'd consider increasing protein to help her through molt, and maybe a bit of electrolytes or Poultry Nutri Drench to help give her a little pep and maybe increase her appetite/activity.

Thank you everyone for the input! I have done more research and visited the chicken lady at my local feed store. I cannot worm without a prescription here and I cannot even get the wormers anymore. But mites have apparently been an enormous issue in my area this fall, so I'm going to clear out all the bedding, clean the coop and treat the whole flock. I've increased protein in all of their diets by switching to a high protein feed, giving more mealworms and more scrambled eggs with tuna. I feed Willow the eggs/tuna separately so that I know she is getting a good amount without having to participate in the feeding frenzy. I've also dosed them all with a little bit of nutridrench, just to give them a boost. So, I'm not doing anything radically different from what they are used to, but I've turned up the volume on all of my normal routines.

I'll keep a close eye on Willow for the next couple days and nights. If there's no change, I'll have to figure out how to get her to a vet for a proper worming.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

OK, some new information. Willow was more puffed up than usual yesterday afternoon, so I brought her into a dog crate on my porch overnight. She is still eating, drinking and pooping, but her crop is large and doughy. No smell. After much research, I started her on @TwoCrows recipe:
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda (do NOT use baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon Ginger Powder (you can even use the contents of a human Ginger capsule)
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
a squirt of Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons of water

I got quite a bit into her and massaged her crop until she started to protest. She is now back in the crate resting with plenty of water and mash.

Other recommendations?

i dunno .. she have access to any greens?

No access to greens at the moment, just mash. I do sometimes feed limited amounts of greens and other vegetables as a treat. But I haven't done so in well over a week because the ladies are molting and I've been giving them high-protein treats like mealworms, scrambled eggs and tuna.

I have a girl going through a rough molt right now. She hasnt slept on the floor but she has slept on a lower roost by herself a few times. I think its uncomfortable when the others press up against her. We feed all flock.

Back
Top Bottom