Sleeping Outside/Inside Coop

HectorC

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2020
Hello - Live in Phoenix AZ. We got 5 young hens in April 2020 (first-time layers) and they all happily marched into the coop to sleep at night. It was still relatively cool then. As the months went on and got very hot here (as it does), they all opted to sleep outside on an outdoor roosting post inside the completely fenced-in run. Happily, they all survived the near 120 degree heat with the help of a misting system and multiple trays of water for them to stand in. The nights are starting to get cooler now and they are still sleeping outside (that section of the run is covered with a tarp).

There are 2 identical coops in the run. You can see one in the photo behind me to my left and the outdoor perch is to my right.

I'm hoping that they will instinctively remember the coop is a warmer place to go as the nights get chilly. Or will I have to physically put them in the coop at night to get them used to it again...?

Thoughts appreciated.

PS - They are 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Black Maran and 2 Rhode Island Reds.

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_174316637.jpg
    IMG_20200522_174316637.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 65
they should go back in on their own. Also, chickens can survive temperatures we would find quite cold with little problem.

I'd only be concerned if you look out the window during a cold rain and find them sitting on outside roosts at a breezy 45-50 degrees F - then I might pick them up and place them back in the house, but I sincerely doubt it will come to that.

They'll probably want to stay together, and coop does not look large enough for 5 big birds.
Ventilation in coop could be a factor too.
Also coop is low to ground, they'll want to roost as high as possible,
so removing run roosts might move them to roost in coops.

More pics of coops, inside and out, might help here.

As long as they are out of the wind, they may be fine sleeping in the run.
How cold does it get where you are?

Hector, welcome to the flock! :jumpy

Your situation probably worries you far more than it does the ladies. Clearly, you are concerned for their wellbeing. Do you have good idea of who’s your alpha hen? If you wait for a cooler night, a little before they’d normally go to roost, and place just her in the coop, the others may see it’s a good idea and follow. 🤞

I have a barnevelder that chooses to sleep outside occasionally. It makes me nervous but it has gotten down in the 30s and she's always fine. Most birds handle cool temperatures remarkably well, especially if they're covered and can't get wet. Your breeds should handle it fine. If it starts getting below freezing and they don't move inside, I'd consider if there might be a reason they aren't crazy about the coop. They might want to stay together but won't all fit comfortably in 1 of the coops. I know ours like to cuddle close together when it's cold. But generally, I wouldn't sweat it. They will do what seems like the best option and are pretty good at staying warm naturally.

Very pretty red in the photo. Good luck!

They'll probably want to stay together, and coop does not look large enough for 5 big birds.
Ventilation in coop could be a factor too.
Also coop is low to ground, they'll want to roost as high as possible,
so removing run roosts might move them to roost in coops.

More pics of coops, inside and out, might help here.

As long as they are out of the wind, they may be fine sleeping in the run.
How cold does it get where you are?

Thanks! There are two identical coops. They are low to the ground but they slept fine in them for the first few months before it started getting hot.

Granted they are cute prefab coops we bought online. We're not handy enough to build a coop.

It could get into the 40s overnight here.

i had the same issue with my Pullets this September. I was the one putting them in the coop on their roosts for so long, it was frustrating since the adult hens would walk through easily but then pullets would just walk past the door and roost on the coop roof! I found a tip on here, take one of those battery powered tea lights/candles and put it in a mason jar. then put a lid on the jar. Set the timer to 3 hours starting at 6:00 and ending at 9:00 (or whenever it gets dark to the time it’s fully dark where you live) and set it in the door way to light up the door. For me, the girls walked in on their own immediately. After that, i took the candle away after a week of learning and they haven’t had issues since!

High 40s last night, and breezy Some of my girls insisted on sleeping ON the hen house roof as well - and here I'd just finished scrapping and washing all their droppings off, earlier in the day. I have yet to see a truly cold day - only expect maybe 2 weeks+/- worth this year, as I have a mild climate.

Back
Top Bottom