Sleeping problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarredCometLaced, Aug 6, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    Aren't Chickens supposed to sleep on roosts? We have 6 week old chicks that are refusing to sleep on the low roosts , and instead insist on sleeping in the nest box (for eggs). Is this a problem? How do i convince them to sleep on the roosts and that nest boxes are for egg laying? Is this just a phase [​IMG]

2. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    Cover the access to the boxes just so they do not get into the habit of sleeping there. They will sleep on roost when they are ready, no worries.

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Everynight put them on the roost. If they hop off, just leave them. Just put them up there every night until they start going on their own.

I hope this works for you! Mine didn't sleep on the roosts at first. We had to just put them on them every night.

And block off the nesting boxes so they don't get into the habbit of sleeping there. (Thats what the post above says. Just forgot to write that.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Your chicks are too young - they still have the instinct to huddle under momma.

Just leave them be - by 6 months they should all be roosting on their own.

5. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Mine are 20 weeks and they still pile on top of each other in the corner at night - despite the heat! [​IMG] In the morning when I go to let them out, they are all on the roosts...I think they just like messing with me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by