Sleeping Sickness?

Sorry for your loss, but I'm kinda glad for you too.

My 'failure to thrive' chick is still alive but is blind. And I wish I'd culled her because she's not having a very happy life. I know some people have blind chickens and are happy with them. But they take extra care that I just can't give, and she just isn't a very happy chick. Can't chase bugs. Always trying to hide near one of the other chickens. Spins in circles when she feels lost until she hears another chick. Trembles all the time. I'm thinking I shouldn't have nursed her so well, and need to put her down. But then she runs to me at the sound of my voice to get her twice daily drink of water (she can't find the bow on her own). She snuggles against my hand and does her happy peep, and I feel guilty for thinking about culling.
he.gif

Sorry Cody...I felt nature could take it's course with mine and it has with yours...but it's still sad to lose any they are so small and helpless.
WGC....that's a hard spot to be in....but unless you have the time for that little one something bad will eventually happen to it anyways? I would cull, as hard as that may be, but better for chick than live a whole 10 years (?) in constant fear and trembling.
Otherwise it would need it's own friend, coop, water, feed....can never see it's own babies even if it did have some.

Back
Top Bottom