Sleepy Chicken

I got the powder. Thanks so much. I will remove the electrolytes, should I still continue the probiotics. I was adding a package of that and electrolytes to a gallon of water.

View attachment 1614233
I would only use the Corid at this time.
After you finish treatment, then add the probiotics and electrolytes for a few days.

Try to get as much Corid water into her that you can. I would also be inclined to give her a drench (direct dose) of Corid. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid solution.

For a drench mix 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder with 2 teaspoons water, then give her 0.34 ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

I hope she feels better soon.
I am concerned that she is not pooping, she has inflammation/blockage somewhere. It could be a number of things from an impacted gizzard, worms, coccidiosis, reproductive problems and on it goes. The only thing we can do sometimes is to try to give supportive care the best we can.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you so much. I will do the Drench as soon as I get home. She has water in the cage but I don't think she is drinking on her own. She did poop yesterday and again through out the night. Not a lot, but then again she isn't eating or drinking a lot. She does seem more alert, at least she opens her eyes when I open the cage.

Thank you so much. I will do the Drench as soon as I get home. She has water in the cage but I don't think she is drinking on her own. She did poop yesterday and again through out the night. Not a lot, but then again she isn't eating or drinking a lot. She does seem more alert, at least she opens her eyes when I open the cage.
:hugs

Sorry, I have another question. If I treat this chicken with the Corid, should I do it for the rest of the flock in their water outside? And If so how long should I treat their water.

UPDATE: She seems to more alert or keeping her eyes open longer. Still no interest in food. I have water down yogurt and scramble eggs that she kind of drinks. I changed out her water to the Corid mix and did the drench when I got home last night. I believe pooped three times yesterday while I was at work. Still do not think she is drinking or eating on her own. I have to get her out and coax her to drink by fluffing the feather on the back of her head. This seems to wake her up a bit to drink. most time she keeps her eye closed while drinking. Here eyes look normal and dilate normally. Thanks for everyone's help.

UPDATE: She seems to more alert or keeping her eyes open longer. Still no interest in food. I have water down yogurt and scramble eggs that she kind of drinks. I changed out her water to the Corid mix and did the drench when I got home last night. I believe pooped three times yesterday while I was at work. Still do not think she is drinking or eating on her own. I have to get her out and coax her to drink by fluffing the feather on the back of her head. This seems to wake her up a bit to drink. most time she keeps her eye closed while drinking. Here eyes look normal and dilate normally. Thanks for everyone's help.
Glad she is a bit more alert, but the sleepiness is very concerning.
Do what you can to keep her going, the egg was a good idea.

Just to make sure - you did perform an internal exam to see if you could feel for an egg?

That is one thing I have not done. I felt around underneath, when I pick her up the opening (vent) opens and I don't see anything. Is there an article for checking internally? I really don't want to hurt her or cause damage.

That is one thing I have not done. I felt around underneath, when I pick her up the opening (vent) opens and I don't see anything. Is there an article for checking internally? I really don't want to hurt her or cause damage.
Well, no I don't think there is really an article that tells how to do that.
You would want to glove up and lubricate the vent slightly, you can use a little mineral oil, vaseline or personal lubrication, something like that. Insert the finger about 1-2 inches. An egg of course would be hard, otherwise it should all feel like soft tissue.

Back
Top Bottom