Sleepy Chicken

Your finger won’t hurt her. Just think about how big a Egg is compared to your finger. She’ll probably not even notice. Hold her till she’s calm (and you’re calm). It’s a quick little exam.

Update: 12-14-18. Amber chicken seems more alert, still no interest in food. I can get her drink, so I have watering down yogurt and scramble eggs. but she only drinks its. I did the internal exam for eggs bound, nothing there. I noticed last night a spot on her foot in the web part, looks like dried chicken feed, I tried to wash it off, but its more like a scab. (See picture). She also has a tiny back spot on her head. She is pooping, in fact she unloaded while I was coaxing her to eat, so I took a picture of that also. Very watery.

Foot.jpg black spot.jpg 12-13-18 poop.jpg

Update: 12-14-18. Amber chicken seems more alert, still no interest in food. I can get her drink, so I have watering down yogurt and scramble eggs. but she only drinks its. I did the internal exam for eggs bound, nothing there. I noticed last night a spot on her foot in the web part, looks like dried chicken feed, I tried to wash it off, but its more like a scab. (See picture). She also has a tiny back spot on her head. She is pooping, in fact she unloaded while I was coaxing her to eat, so I took a picture of that also. Very watery.

View attachment 1615732 View attachment 1615733 View attachment 1615734
Any way you can get a sample of poop tested?
The little scab on the foot and comb are probably from a peck by another chicken.

Her having no interest in food and only wanting to drink is very concerning (along with the continued sleepiness).
I wonder if she has a blockage somewhere since the crop seems to be empty in the mornings.

Any way you can get a sample of poop tested?
The little scab on the foot and comb are probably from a peck by another chicken.

Her having no interest in food and only wanting to drink is very concerning (along with the continued sleepiness).
I wonder if she has a blockage somewhere since the crop seems to be empty in the mornings.

I will call around some more to see if I can find a vet. I am asking for a fecal test on chicken is that correct? Or do I need to be asking for something else?

That S shape to her neck is something I see with some of my Marek's birds and unfortunately I have not had one recover from that symptom yet. I think it may affect their ability to swallow effectively. The green poop and yellow urates are just because there is not enough food going through her digestive system.
Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's? She is at the prime age for an outbreak.

Where in the world are you located? (it helps if you include that info on your profile page so that we can see at a glance each time you post) We may be able to find details of your local veterinary diagnostics lab where they could perform a necropsy if the worst happens. These labs are often state subsidised so relatively inexpensive and very knowledgeable on poultry and carcasses/samples can often be mailed to them. It really helps to know if you are dealing with something like Marek's. Your state lab could also do a faecal float and gram stain probably cheaper than a vet. We have a list of state labs somewhere but if you tell us where you are we can find the info for you.

None of my birds have been vaccinated. I am located in Michigan, Ann Arbor would be the biggest city rather close to me. I will try to go in do my profile. I was on the group years ago until our last hen died. This summer we decided that we missed the gals and got a few. Thanks for the reply.

This is your state facility. Not sure how near to Lansing you are....
https://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/

Unfortunately I cannot see much info regarding poultry on their fees schedule page and in particular no mention of avian necropsy. You might ring them and enquire about what services they can offer you and the cost if they are within travelling distance. Some states avian necropsies are free or as cheap as $20, other states it can be as much as $100, so important to ask.

This is your state facility. Not sure how near to Lansing you are....
https://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/

Unfortunately I cannot see much info regarding poultry on their fees schedule page and in particular no mention of avian necropsy. You might ring them and enquire about what services they can offer you and the cost if they are within travelling distance. Some states avian necropsies are free or as cheap as $20, other states it can be as much as $100, so important to ask.

Thanks, its a few hours from us. I am going to try to find someone closer. I would like to build a relationship with a vet close by for emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom