Sleepy Chicken?!

SarahBC

Chirping
Apr 25, 2019
British Columbia, Canada
Help! This is my first time having chickens and they are 4 months old. One of mine has been acting very sleepy today. She isn't eating much, drinking much and just seems tired. She is closing her left eye all the time. I picked her up and checked her out. No discharge from eyes or nose, no obvious injuries or swelling. I have no idea how to help her or if this is normal? Maybe she didn't get a good sleep last night? I'm worried about her though. I don't have anything in my house to help except for chick vitamins (for when they first hatch or are shipped) and ACV or garlic? What do I do?

20190719_122728.jpg

Attachments

• 20190719_122559.jpg
    20190719_122559.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 4
I don't see any abnormal poop. Excuse the mess, I just gave them zucchini from my garden.
I was out there now and took her over to the waterer and made her drink some water with ACV in it. She drank with her left eye closed. I am usually not able to catch her so this has me concerned.

Pictures of the bird & poop would help. Is she eating/drinking/pooping? What are you feeding your chicks? What's the weather like? Did you hatch or purchase?
Purchased these birds April 15th. I guess that makes them 3 months old not 4. Weather has been cold and rainy but they are under shelter with areas out of the wind. She drank. Not sure on poop or food. I will go back out

Lose the ACV....Just plain water.

I don't know what to feel for in her crop. I felt hers and two others and they seemed the same.
That's good to compare with other normal acting birds.

This is what I do when a bird is acting 'off'......
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Lose the ACV....Just plain water.

That's good to compare with other normal acting birds.

This is what I do when a bird is acting 'off'......
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Great idea of the dog crate. I think I might have one in my garage! If all the other chickens go inside to roost at night will this one be okay on it's own out in the (enclosed and water proof) run? I also think I have an extra horizontal water nipple. I don't have a hanging feeder but I could use the one I will eventually be putting oyster shell in (once they start laying).
why do you say lose the ACV? I don't normally use it but I thought it was supposed to help in this situation?
Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom