Sleepy chicks?

mrsflood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Howdy everyone! We finally brought home our 6 Barnevelders today (thank you, Joanne, you were great) and they're in their brooder. They are 4 days old.
The brooder is a large tote and we have the red heat lamp directed in and the temp is good.
The drive they had was about an hour. They've done a lot if snoozing. Is this normal? They do perk up and putter around, scratching and eating.
I'm just wondering if the big day they had would explain the napping.
Thanks for the advice.

It could. I'd keep a close eye on the temp, though, as their body heat warms up the brooder, and overheating can make them lethargic. If they don't get more active by later tonight, you might want to tyry dropping the temp a little. Actually, my brooder raised chicks always acted overheated, avoiding the heat, when I tried to maintain anything like 95 degrees for a week, etc.

There is an interesting article in the sticky for this forum on causes of early chick mortality that I found illuminating as far as their environment is concerned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39604/some-causes-of-early-chick-mortality/0_20

Well it's 540 am here and as I came down the stairs from bed, I could hear the cheeping. :)
I had a peek and the 6 of them were wide awake and active. Their feed bowl was almost empty, so I filled it and gave them fresh water too. They were happy to have it all.
Thanks for easing my worries and also for the extra knowledge. So far so good.

Howdy everyone! We finally brought home our 6 Barnevelders today (thank you, Joanne, you were great) and they're in their brooder. They are 4 days old.
The brooder is a large tote and we have the red heat lamp directed in and the temp is good.
The drive they had was about an hour. They've done a lot if snoozing. Is this normal? They do perk up and putter around, scratching and eating.
I'm just wondering if the big day they had would explain the napping.
Thanks for the advice.

Yep that is the way baby's are but if you want to perk them up a little add some Probiotic to the water and you could also boil up some egg's for them one egg per ten chicks and then remove the shell mash up really good then serve it will do a world of wonders for them even if it is a very old trick and do this for a few days and watch them grow fast and healthy ....

So what kind of feed are you giving the little chicks ????

Take a look at my brooder set up ....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom