Sleepy goose?

gooselove

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2016
Coquille, Oregon
I have a pair of Toulouse geese that are 9 months old. Lately, the female has been sleeping much more than usual. She seems fine when awake, eating, playing in the pool, etc. Is this normal? The male hangs out by her when she sleeps, almost like he is protecting her. This is my first pair of geese I've raised as day old goslings. Any info would be appreciated.

I have a pair of Toulouse geese that are 9 months old. Lately, the female has been sleeping much more than usual. She seems fine when awake, eating, playing in the pool, etc. Is this normal? The male hangs out by her when she sleeps, almost like he is protecting her. This is my first pair of geese I've raised as day old goslings. Any info would be appreciated.

@gooselove Welcome to BYC.

Has she started laying yet? My older Toulouse has been laying around more too but it's usually after she lays her egg takes about half the day, lol I finally take the egg away and she just keeps laying there. Might try some good poultry vitamins in their drinking water and see if that perks her up, If she hasn't laid yet it just may mean her body is getting ready. As long as she is acting normal in every other way.

Hi Miss Lydia, thank you for the welcome!

No, she hasn't laid any eggs yet. I will get poultry vitamins and see if she perks up. It was also suggested that I feed little or no scratch feed and keep them both on a pelleted waterfowl feed (they have been eating flock raiser/scratch ration). They have grass and access to oyster shell.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Hi Miss Lydia, thank you for the welcome!

No, she hasn't laid any eggs yet. I will get poultry vitamins and see if she perks up. It was also suggested that I feed little or no scratch feed and keep them both on a pelleted waterfowl feed (they have been eating flock raiser/scratch ration). They have grass and access to oyster shell.

Thank you for the suggestions.
The main food source should be water fowl ration or flock raiser and grass with a small amount of scratch for treat. I can't get water fowl feed so I use flock raiser with oyster shell in a separate bowl for my females. Mine get whole corn and dried meal worms every afternoon for snack. They'd leave home if they didn't.You just don't want to over do on corn since it's a starch and can make them over weight if fed too much.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea for the afternoon treat! Again, thank you for the help and advice. Another question-do you worm your geese on a regular basis? I'm in the coastal Oregon area and don't have much "goose support" so very grateful for the assistance.

That sounds like a great idea for the afternoon treat! Again, thank you for the help and advice. Another question-do you worm your geese on a regular basis? I'm in the coastal Oregon area and don't have much "goose support" so very grateful for the assistance.
A goose thread member said it's best to worm our geese right before breeding season, I worm my flock of water fowl in late fall usually November. I use safe guard for goats, if you only have a few water fowl the paste is another option . The safe guard I use in their feed for 5 days and they only get their feed no snacks during that time. If you decide to worm I can give you a good thread on worming that @casportpony has done.

Yes, could you please direct me to that post? Is it too late in the year to worm them now? I have goats as well and could switch to Safeguard goat wormer if that works for geese too. I'd just need to know how much to use for two geese. Thank you in advance!

Yes, could you please direct me to that post? Is it too late in the year to worm them now? I have goats as well and could switch to Safeguard goat wormer if that works for geese too. I'd just need to know how much to use for two geese. Thank you in advance!
Hi I thought I had it in my book marks but looked 2X couldn't find it, hopefully the member who posted it will give it out again I PM'd her. I use the safe guard for my dogs too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom